Limelight - No Buds Yet?

West Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I planted a Limelight last year. It seems to be doing well...leaves look healthy, and it's growing...but there aren't any buds on the plant yet. Is this common at this point in the season?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, wwicks. I would expect that established paniculatas would be showing flower buds some time between mid-June thru early July since most of them bloom starting in July and they can bloom earlier at times too. Tardiva would be the exception since it is tardy, always.

However, your plant may not be established and could be concentrating on developing a good root system instead. Consider flowers great if you get them on years 1-2. Do not be concerned until years two or three.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm a zone warmer than you, have many established Limelights. No buds quite yet. Another week or so. I also sell Limelights, and they bloom in gallon pots. Not to worry, they should get buds very soon.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Mine is just starting to bud this week so don't worry. Pee Gee started last week and Pinky Winky is pretty much unhappy this year (I moved it and need to rethink the move)

West Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the reassurance pollyk and bookreader451! Hopefully I'll see some buds soon. If nothing else, at least the foliage appears really healthy, and the plant is growing!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I just checked and one of my Limelights does have tiny buds. Ask the deer about the other one - they stripped it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Baaaaaaaad deer, bad!

I'm changing a song to: If I only had a gun.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Loads of buds on Limelight, tardiva, panniculats here in Atlanta. No buds yet on Pinky winky.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't have a gun, pirl, but I do have a shovel! :) Fortunately (?) the deer found my roses tastier fare today than my Pinky Winky, they show it no mercy usually. They seem to leave Limelight alone.

They've done damage here with one entire bed of hosta Plantaginea and the one Limelight but not the other Limelight just a few feet away. They ate every bud of Splish Splash geraniums and every bud on a low phlox. Forget the roses! They must have been an appetizer since I had exactly one bloom in the back.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

So did your Limelight ever get buds?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

From my own experience; Limelight does take time to get established. I purchased mine at blooming age. However, the first summer post transplant. It did skip a season. Once established! Watch out! It's going to be a show stopper! On the hot and humid South weather, it's blooming now. (This one is under dappled shade).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.