Physical activity

southeast, NE

I believe one of the benefits of farming/gardening is the physical activity received. I recently read an article in a dollar stretcher newsletter about people who spend money at gyms but avoid any physical work. I believe after I do chores, move hay, etc, I am tired and maybe a little sore but I do feel tired in a good way. A farmer friend and I were discussing this about our kids. My dd used to play soccer but decided not to pursue it in high school anymore. She decided to take a weight lifting class as one of her physical fitness requirements. She knew that some of the coaches and jocks looked down on her. She ended up breaking a school record. She even outlifted many boys. The wrestling coach was trying to get her to try out. We teased her that all those bucket lifting paid off. A friend said his son was playing football and the coaches were giving him flack because he couldn't come in for the daily lifting sessions even though he was helping pick up hay.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!