Help with ID

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have these two beauties, not quite sure where they came from possibly a DG Swap last fall. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Add these?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hard to tell, but is there any chance they are spurias? When did they bloom? When do your tall bearded's bloom?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They bloomed later than the tall bearded, not quite sure how much later but later. The yellow one bloomed first shortly after the tall bearded and is done blooming now. The purple is blooming now.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Spurias bloom after tall bearded, but I don't know a whole lot more about them. But if I had to bet I would say they are spurias -- a very tough and long lasting iris.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you pajaritomt. I will check that out. They sure are pretty, the purple ones are planted in a bed near one of my bird feeders it will need to be moved as there are taller plants growing in front of it. Not sure if I will move it this year or wait till next year.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I plan to plant my first spurias this year. I am still trying to figure out where. They are supposed to be good for flower arrangers ( not me) because their flowers have a lot of substance.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Holly,

#1 is a Japanese. It's a species or near species type.

#2 I'm not sure of, possibly Louisiana?

Here's a similar one to yours. R. Giskard. It's a named variety, but it's near species. Near species meaning the species just has not been improved on much, but it's been registered and introduced as it had qualities the species did not.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, so much for the spuria theory. Out here in the west they would be spurias. But polly knows her Japanese etc.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I know my Japanese, but I don't know my spuria or Louisianas. The style arms are usually long on sprurias, which her second photo does not seem to have.

Also, you normally assume the most common, which in Holly's area would be Louisiana, siberian or Japanese. Spuria are not widely distributed yet.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah. Yes Louisiana's and Siberian and Japanese make more sense for a Pennsylvania plant than Spurias. BTW, I am going to have to try again on Siberians because I see them in peoples' gardens around here every once in a while -- usually in the gardens of people who don't know they don't grow here. Sometimes knowledge is dangerous!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you both, I know nothing other than they are iris. LOL
I have a blue Siberian (I think it's a Siberian) as well as several of the bearded. I hope to expand on my irises as I expand my sunnier beds in the next couple of years. I stop by this forum every so often and look at the pretties, maybe one of these days I may be able to participate in one of the swaps you run.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You will enjoy it when the time comes. Betty

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well come visit more often Holly. Yes, the swaps and co-ops both for irises are great.

Definitely Betty try another siberian. The key is to keep it moist the first year until it's established and then the second year they do pretty well with normal rainfall. Which to you might mean a little supplemental watering.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, by the way, Holly, I was going to say and forgot. That's a really nice picture of the Japanese iris.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Polly, it is a beautiful flower.
pajaritomt, If you would like to try a Siberian I would be glad to send you one of these. I think that is what they are. If not I would love an ID on these, too. They bloomed at the same time as my bearded iris. This is the best pic of have of these.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh I would love to have one of those, especially that I know how to care for them now. I would also be happy to send you some tall or standard dwarf bearded or an IB in exchange. Check my journal to see what I have -- it isn't completely up to date. Shall we continue this exchange on Dmail?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.