Pruning Kousa dogwood

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I have a young kousa that was planted about a year ago. I didn't pick it out, it was given to me. It's very tall and thin. I just noticed a beautiful kousa around the corner in a neighbor's yard. It's got, in my opinion, the perfect shape, and TONS of flowers this year. I took this photo yesterday, after several days of rain, so it's not looking quite as good as it did:

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

So my question is, can I prune mine to look more like my neighbor's? I'm thinking it's too late, as my tree has one central leader, and my neighbor's has several. Here's a photo of mine:

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I think you'll find your little tree will be more to your liking next year. They take a bit to settle in and then do what your neighbours tree is doing. I actually think your tree doesn't need a trim, just some time to fill in.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Kousa's are very slow growing trees. Your neighbors tree has probably been around for a while. My tree is 15 years old, so I have trimmed some of the lower branches to get access to my hostas and hydrangas planted under and behind it, and to keep it in tree form. I wouldn't trim anything on your tree yet unless you find a sucker growing out the bottom. Give yours a chance to grow for a few years.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Having a single leader is almost never a bad thing for most trees.

I have to agree with growin. I think singular patience is the best recommendation at this time, seasonally applied, and in liberal doses.

You'll find that the side branching from the trunk will develop a horizontally stratified habit, and that you'll have more and more flowers perched above the foliage for you to enjoy each year.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

thanks, I will just be patient

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A lovely specimen which I hope you'll enjoy for many years to come!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

My arborist says the rule of thumb is to wait 3 years before pruning a tree that's been newly planted. So give it a couple more years before you do anything (it apparently helps it recover from the shock of being transplanted)

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

ok, good advice, thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.