clematis in pots

Long Beach, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all!
I'm new to DG as well as gardening and I just love it! I've learned tons already from everyone and the photographs of your gardens and clematis are beautiful.
I have 3 clematis plants that I recently purchased. I want to keep them in big pots for awhile. They all have blooms and tons of buds on them. Is it safe to plant them now? Will I risk losing the blooms and buds from transplant shock?
The Etoile Violette and Rouge Cardinal are in 2 and a half gallon containers and the Jackmanii is in a 1 gallon container.
Any info would be real appreciated!
Thanks!

Thumbnail by june2412
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful, but I would hang tight as others who are the experts will chime in and let you know the right answer. Personally I wouldn't risk planting them right now while they are in bloom. Clems don't like their roots disturbed.

Nice start to your clem garden.

You will really enjoy DG, great learning and sharing here. True gardeners.

Janet

Appleton, WI

You should cut back a clematis when you plant it. If you want to enjoy the blooms for a while, leave them in the pot for now but only if you can keep them watered and provide them some shade from the heat. Those little pots heat up quickly.

Long Beach, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the replies. Should I just keep them in the containers from the nurseries? When is the right time to transplant them? In the fall?

Appleton, WI

I plant anytime during the year and then baby them. It's easier for me to baby plants in the ground than in pots. Some people feel it's easier to take care of potted plants.

(Zone 4a)

Great clematis choices....they are gorgeous....I would wait till after they are done flowering......then plant them and cut them back by at least half if not more and fertilize them. That is just my opinion.

Delaware, OH

you can plant anytime, if you prune them back by at least half their height to help the roots establish. so enjoy in the pots they are in and when you are ready, dig, amend, cut , soak and plant......and as jj says baby them.

don't repot them if you are then going to plant them out in the garden within a couple of months. you can report in a bigger container if they are fully rooted out and you plan to leave them in pots for more than a few months.
welcome to the forum, june!

Columbus, OH

Please tell me approx. how large are the roots for a clematis purchased at SSV after the plant has grown in my location for a couple of years.
I can't decide what to plant where. have not ever transplant a 3 year old plant and am afraid.
Thanks' a million
confussedlady

Delaware, OH

confussed, how big is the top of the plant? and please clarify it has been in your garden for 3 years?

you need to start the digging from a wide circle. why don't you e mail ssv and ask deb fisher what special tips she as, she has moved many a big clem and i can't think of anyone who would have better tips than she would.
i do know it if is a vigorous clem with multiple stems that you may have multiple crowns after you dig it that can be divided. you can pot them up for other places or just spread them out where you are moving the clem to.....

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

June .....

so did ya move them? or are they still in pots.

I put all my new ones (4) from SSV in pots as I don't know if we are staying put or not, so I didn't want to put them in the ground only to have to take them right back out...

Let us know what ya decided to do.

Janet

Long Beach, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all!
Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone...I've been working a lot and haven't been on DG in a while.
OK...so, I decided to do a little experiment and learn for myself which would be the best way to take care of my clemati...

I planted one in the ground (Henrii) and its doing very well...buds and flowers right now and about 3 feet of growth! Yay!

I planted 2 of them (Rouge Cardinal & Etoile Violet) in huge pots and they have been slooow growing and have some brown vines, but today I checked them out and there are some buds and new growth!

The last one (Jackmanii) , I left in its container from the nursery and its just truckin' along...bud, flowers, growth, but not as much as the one in the ground.

Now, I am just letting them chill out...I will need to transplant them into bigger pots in a few years I assume. The Jackmanii is going into a huge planter and I'm going to buy an arbor for it. I don't have land in my backyard...just a deck over the bay so most of my plants are in really big planters.

Thank you to everyone for all the input! Hope you're all doing well!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.