Coneflower

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi all,

I've got several purple coneflowers, all at least three years old. This year not one of them has bloomed, the one white one did. I can't figure it out. Plants are all there with larger low-growing leaves.

Is it the tree's shade? Not much experience with trees or shade. Is it the soil?

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Hi Bloominator.
I had two plants that a friend gave me as well as three I purchased at a local nursery. The two that were given to me did not bloom at all although the three newer ones not only bloomed, but just yesterday I harvested seeds.
I was told by someone earlier here that a coneflower slowly degenerates after several years and often get smaller and stop blooming once they reach a certain age....
I assumes this was the problem and pulled the non bloomers.
Would you like some of my seeds?

This message was edited Tuesday, Sep 18th 2:05 PM

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Gwydion,
That's very interesting, I hadn't heard about older plants not producing flowers. I noticed my neighbour's plants had the large low-growing leaves but with flowers. I was wondering if that was a phase coneflowers went through.

I'd hate to trouble you for your seeds. I'm sure my neighbour would agree to giving me some. But maybe you can tell me about germinating seeds for best results. I've never been too successful with germination. Thanks for your generous offer though.

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Sorry Bloominator, I have never started from seed. I did sow some in the ground yesterday. As well, I saved some to try indoors next spring and a few for sharing.
I was going to ask the advice of the wonderful people here come spring.

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

No problem Gwydion,just thought you might have some cool tips.

They really need divided every 2 years or they don't thrive or bloom as well. (In fact, I divide MINE every spring because someone is always admiring that huge clump & I don't let them get away without a division of their own to grow. They choke themselves if allowed to spread without division. They're so easy to start from seed so I'm sure you'll have success.

If by coneflower you mean echinacea, I have found them very easy to start from seed. Your problem may be too much shade. Before I dumped them, I would try moving them to more sun. Also, try side-dressing them with bone meal. Too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus will produce leaves but no flowers. Bone meal is a good organic source of phosphorus.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:44 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.