Who Am I?

Athens, PA

I bought this clem last year. It was one of those little liner pots and it was supposed to be a Similkivi (sp?). He has just started flowering and I cannot figure out what he is. I went to the Encyclopedia of Clematis and the closest I can figure is Blue Ravine. On the reverse side of the bloom the bars are a bright pink - almost a raspberry and the blooms are quite large. Your thoughts?????

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Julia is right..it's "Ramona" in all her glory and what a beautiful pic you have taken...Jeanne

Athens, PA

Thank you, both of you

Delaware, OH

for comparison here is ramona 09 from one of my gardens.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Athens, PA

CG - I have to ask - why does mine have a pink bar down the center of the tepal and yours doesn't?

Appleton, WI

The colors of Ramona are hard to photograph, plus, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the amount of sun it receives, and the age of the bloom will vary the amount of red/pink that is seen.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Julia is correct..."Ramona" has many different looks to her as she ages on the vine..especially given the full sun...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Delaware, OH

carolyn, ramona is a clem that has a confusing and not totally clear past. many experts believe there are several forms in existence today, so there are different clones or versions of ramona. so in addition to soil, care, sun and age of plant there are some other genetic variables among all our ramonas.

one ramona has seiboldi heritage.
my ramonas wilt back, can be fussy and have some twisted growth (they like to bloom backwards sometimes) but they bloom gorgeously when al is right as they do this year.

Athens, PA

sounds confusing at best..... Oh well - I am very happy with her (guess she is a she and not a he ^_^)

Delaware, OH

i like that analogy carolyn. mine is a "she" with the fainting and moods, but oh so pretty. i think it is a very tropical looking clem.
my oldest one is in full bloom (picture posted above) and the other one, almost as old is about 4 feet tall now and blooms much later than the first. it is an incosistent clem, but not in a negative way.

u can read more about it on COTW, good info there. clarifies better than i ever could!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Too bad she's such a fussy clem because every one of these pictures is beautiful!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Carolyn - love the colors in your photo!

Athens, PA

Pirl

Thank you.

I am really liking the pinkish bars down the middle of the tepals. Here is a new one that opened today.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Ramona has never been that beautiful for me though I always did like it until I saw your photos and that pink bar. Maybe I just have a lazy Ramona.

(Zone 4a)

Hmmmm no I do NOT think this one is Ramona. The colouring is totally wrong. I do not know what it it but I do not think it is ramona. JMO. Sorry I just think more research needs to be done. Hopefully someone here can help.

Delaware, OH

i never see the central bars and margin on a ramona like the one you wanted to identify. that said,as there are many strains of ramona, as you can research, so the only thing that makes me think it isn't , is that you don't know.
ramona would not be my "guess", but that said.......

Appleton, WI

Carolyn, there is a partial bloom on the left side of your photo - is that how the blooms normally look on the plant, and the pinkier one on the right is very different from the other blooms?

Maybe the pinker bloom is a sport.

Athens, PA

Julia -

both those blooms belong to that same clem. They start out pink and they get very large and twisted looking before they open. I am very happy with the pinkness on this plant. I guess that is what is really important, whether it is Ramona or not. I do think regardless of who it is, it is a group 2. I suppose she could be some type of sport.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.