help have bugs

Milwaukee, WI

I have some type of white worm eating on the roots of my irises. Dont know much on Iris care can someone help me and tell me what to do could be a catepillar of some sort

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I don't know what they are but I'm betting you're going to hear iris borer which can be bad news. Keep watching because I'm sure the experts will be answering soon:) They are a helpful bunch with the solutions if there are any to be had. None of us like to see an iris cut down in its prime:lol:

South Hamilton, MA

Iris borer are very small & whitish when they begin, but turn fat pinkish grey as they get older. Has anyone else in the area been bothered by them. Look in bug files for borer.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

When you lift a clump of iris and they mush apart and they are swimming in goo, you've got borer's. Dig the whole clump up, divide the healthy away, give them a bleach water bath, rinse, let them dry for a few days. Dig the soil around where the iris was, and treat the area with Spinosad, I think that is how you pronounce it. Replace the dirt with clean dirt. Do this imediately before they decide to chew on more and spray all of your clumps with the chemical every 14 days.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

White grubs do that to my irises. It's sad because they usually eat up all the rhizome before the damage is noticed.

I'm not sure of they exist where you live or not. Here is a link to webpage full of "grub' photos. http://tinyurl.com/kwxyhw

I use Bayer Complete Insect Control (granules) to control them and they are dead usually within 24 hours. Protection will last up to 90 days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.