Bugs in Cedar Trees

Fairview, TX(Zone 7a)

My next door neighbor came over last night with a bag full of what looked like buds of some sort from her cedar tree. Then she told me, keep watching them or pick one of them up. The "bud" started gyrating and moving and there is obviously some sort of worm inside this casing that looks like it belongs on the tree. It was downright spooky.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Since I also have cedar trees, I don't want them to become infected with this squirmy thing.

Please help!

CaroleS

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Bagworms. Simplest to hand-pick them off if they can be reached.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Agree with Resin; hand removal is cost-effective on plants where you can reach them all.

If you have larger/older trees, then one of the BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) products labeled for bagworms is the way to go. It is targeted to kill the caterpillar that is eating the foliage, and not any beneficial insect or other fauna that may waywardly encounter this type of insecticide.

You'll want to get it on the tree before the bagworm caterpillars get very large, though. They have to eat foliage with the BT pesticide on it in order to kill them. They die quicker (and do less damage) when they are little. As they enlarge, they quickly strip green foliage from branches.

Fairview, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your help. Guess I'll go over and help her hand pick all the critters as the tree is only about 6 feet tall. After removal, what would be the best way to dispose of the little bags with the worms inside?

CaroleS

Put them on the ground and stamp on them!

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

...and then mail them to Resin...

Yeah, I need the extra protein!

;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.