Tree Rose of Sharon

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I have a Red Tree Rose of Sharon and would like to know how big they get in height and spread? This is the first year that I had it and it is only 3 foot tall.

Does anyone have a tree Rose of Sharon?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They are shrubs and to make them look like trees they'd either have to come as a grafted standard already looking a bit like a tree (which if yours is only 3' tall it's probably not) or you have to train it yourself into tree form if you want it to look like a tree not a shrub--don't expect it to look like a tree all on its own. The mature size will probably vary depending on what cultivar it is but if it's not one of the more compact cultivars then I'd expect it to get 8-10 ft eventually.

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I got it of Kelly Nursery and they told me that it is a tree form. I do agree with you on this being grafted but again I am not really impressed with Kelly Nursery today. Back 35 years ago they were a different company.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There is no form of Rose of Sharon that is naturally going to grow as a tree; if it's only 3 ft tall now you're still going to have to do some pruning/training if you want it to be more of a tree shape. The grafted standards are usually much taller than that (5-6 ft) and then all you have to do is maintain the top growth in the shape you want, but if yours is only 3 ft tall then it's going to need help from you if you want it to be a tree instead of a shrub. (Given Kelly Nursery's ratings in Watchdog, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything they tell you)

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

What needs to be done is have the USDA come in and close ALL these so called FLY BY NIGHT NURSERIES DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what's so great about DavesGarden. You can come here and research a plant and the nursery before you buy it. Saves a lot of money and aggravation. There are tons of wonderful posters here, especially folks like ecrane3, eager and willing to share their knowledge and experience. Research before you buy. DavesGarden is the right place to do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.