I want to kill a Hardy Hibiscus, advice please

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a bush that is in the fence line, so digging is tough, I can't get around it well. Plus the thing must be rooted to china on a rock lol
I have just had no luck digging it. Also I think even a small piece of root will regrow?
I cut off all the 'stalks' to about 6 inches, thinking that would make it easier to dig without all that in the way. But now that digging is off the list, what now?

I thought about spraying it with brush killer, ect? But without any foliage, will that work, just spraying the 'stems'?
Could I then cover it with black plastic?
I would like to plant some peonies there this fall. Suggestions?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Cut Stump application. Cut the trunk a few inches from the ground. Immediately paint the fresh cut with an herbicide like RoundUp. Follow directions for such use.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071109161220AArwjsQ

Well that is my plan at this point. I hope it works!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It will work. I've killed some stubborn stuff that way. The trick is to be ready instantly with the Roundup on the fresh cut. Don't go walking back to the garage or the shed or answer your phone after you cut the stumps. Slap that stuff on immediately. Say goodby to the bush.

And then it will be okay to plant my peony there this fall? I mean it won't contaminate the soil there? I am thinking with the round up, the black plastic, no water, 100 degree temps lol it will be dead enough to dig out this fall?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Roundup has no root action. You're safe to plant.

Great!
I'm so excited!
I shall go out poisoning tonight lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.