My "Thomas Edison" is awfully light...

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Okay, gang. This tuber was supposed to be Thomas Edison. I have seen definite color variations in TE-from deep purples to violets; but never the lavender/lilac that I'm getting. Is this possible with my weird Florida soil, or is it possible I really got something other than what was marked? (grrrr-ebay!)

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

It's awfully light for TAE, I agree. Snap a photo of it fully open, note the bloom size,and we'll see if it's maybe Lilac Time which is in your color range as shown. I've had two versions of Lilac Time in terms of form though. Couple years ago as shown in plantfiles, and last year's version which was the blue-lavender of tubbs' photo here
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/89990/

Sometimes, you can't really be sure of what you've got, but if you like it, keep it!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hmm, Ebay? Well I can tell you few of the dahlias I got there so far were what I ordered. We'll see about this year though!

Went to take a pic of it fully open and my camera batteries pooped out. It's open now, and is exactly the same color. It is about 4" in diameter, so no Lilac Time??
Oh well, it's cute, it's pretty prolific, so I'm happy with it. Just wish I had TE blooming right now as well-haha! No beef's w/ebay, I've definitely had good dahlia turn outs, as well! Just one of those risks when you order a tuber, since we can't see the end result right away- Makes life fun, no? teehee-Thanks guys!

Yay-new batteries! Here's fully opened...maybe a little lighter now, actually...

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

If not TAE, its a very nice color and form!

Thank you. I shall name her "Grape Nehi". haha-jk

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Grape Nehi LOL! That would do as a name. Definitely not Lilac Time which is larger by far and less formally petalled. Your knee-hi sure is pretty though. We try to be so careful labeling tubers, but there's always the clump or single tuber that escapes identification. I like a surprise myself and you've got a pretty one there.

I was given Thomas Alva Edison this year, so if it grows true and has tubers and you want one for postage let me know next April.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.