Wjats this problem?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A friend posted this pic on a local gardening forum of her Mme. Julia Correvon wondering what is wrong? Any suggestions from you clem experts?

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Delaware, OH

it is not a problem, very normal. cold weather in critical stage of formation. the blooms may continue to have greenish sepals viewing the weather
this year, or they may continue green in the beginning and then bloom as to what we call "normal".
in a clematis, there is no sepal behind the petals as in most other flowers...the petals of a clem are really multiple sepals , which protect the reproductive part of the flower...the stamens, anthers etc (or central "boss).

winter was cold and long and this is quite normal. the early blooming clems are more likely to exhibit this condition, mid and late sesaon bloomers usually do not.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks

It was a long cold winter and a long cold spring too!

Delaware, OH

yep. julia c is not that early a bloomer in this zone to be opening with green sepals, but duchess of e always. actually i do have some of my purpura plena elegans and avante garde opening with some green sepals right now...so it is a fact of clem life. i actually welcome those sepals, something about it reinforces the unique differentiation of the genus and plants and why i grow them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe I will see it on some of mine - mostly not flowering yet. I do have PPE.
Here is Joe Zary one of only 3 currently flowering but Joe is sure putting on a show this year!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
New Richmond, OH

Fancy Joey is lovely!! Nancy

(Zone 4a)

wow fancyvan that clematis is really happy looking! Love it!

Delaware, OH

fancyvan, what a beautiful atragene clematis. amd so refreshing to see it now as those bloomed almost 2 months ago here. i am not familiar with that variety, but it is so pretty and looks vigorous too. really nice clem. love it!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice and healthy.What is the date that is safe for planting annuals in AB. When I lived in Montreal, it was Victoria Day.

Delaware, OH

here in delaware ohio it is may 15, but we usually can buy them form outdoor nursery by late april and most people get them in in early may.

Appleton, WI

I love it when that happens.

Here is one of the earliest blooms from Bees Jubilee.

Thumbnail by JuliaJayne
Appleton, WI

Here's one from Harlow Carr. I pulled it off the bloom so you could see it easier. Note the little leaf next to the small bud; it's doing the same thing.

Thumbnail by JuliaJayne
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Diane I have 2 others blooming now but very similar color - Helsingborg and Francis Rivas not so thick though, considering cutting one down to the ground but will start a seperate thread about that soon.
I notice my Rouge Cardinal has some buds. Maybe they will all start blooming soon!

Delaware, OH

you have some nice atrtgenes, i love helinsborg and frances riva. i just put frankie in and am looking foreward to next year with it, it took off well (ssv clem)

we are getting hot here, and spring is becoming a memory..enjoy your new season!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Spring was never a memory here. It was cold and rainy from from April through last Thursday. Now, it's hot and rainy. LOL Lovely Clem's everyone. I'm going to start planting them around the barn and letting them climb up it. :) That way I get a double win, I don't have to paint the barn and it's rustic, yet beautiful. :) LOL

Delaware, OH

ticker, put some vigorous ones in in the beginning so you don't have to wait too long enough coverage to keep you interested.....
do you have an idea of which ones you are putting in on the barn? rouge cardinal would be beautiful. this one is posted on the silver star vinery web site......it is a great clem for our zone.

they are on sale at ssv now. thinking about ordering some more and covering a fence myself. this clem needs no pampering and would be pretty on a barn for sure.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I have no idea what I'm going to use. But yes, I like the idea of vigerous ones to start. :) If you have more suggestions please send them my way. :) I 'm looking to do the south and west side of the barn first. It won't be horribly hot because there is a grove of black walnut trees just west of the barn that will shade it during the hot late afternoons... :)

New Richmond, OH

Is that one clem CG? How old? That would be perfect for the side of our barn as well...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think Rouge Cardinal is my current favorite - I have it growing on a lattice at the end of one of my raised veggie beds. I just moved Prince Charles over there to share the space. Betty Corning and Niobe are sharing the other lattice but they are new so not much going on there.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Delaware, OH

i 'm with you fancyvan, rouge cardinal is a great clem. i love mine.
yes, punksymswma, one plant to my knowledge, i started with one in there and i have never layered it. the peonies are pretty close and i rarely even look at the base of this clem, except when i take the peonies down in the late winter and prune rouge cardinal. this is because it never gives any trouble and also gets less royal treatment as it is in a raised bed so socked in with the peonies.....have a ramona same age next to it which is now up about 4 feet and will bloom later, it made a very late 09 appearance compared to other clems and even other ramona in another garden......
no doubt about it, rouge c is a vigorous clem. one from ssv would look like this in 3 years, with a great first and second year. this one is in 5 years, but started with smaller root, so had a longer wait for the glory.
thanks for the comments, i really recommend rouge c , fancey van your s looks fab....even up there in siberia. did you get the hail last week?????

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hey who you calling siberia? LOL Dianne that hail was a couple of thousand miles east of me!

( I presume you mean the Hail Dawn had?)

Confession - that pic was taken 2 years ago! I noticed yesterday that RC has some buds on it.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2009 8:26 PM

Delaware, OH

true, forgot about the east west thing and assumed you had had hail too!
your r c will be fab this year i bet if that was 2 years ago.......

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Fancy, my older Daniel Deronda does that almost every year. I think it looks kinda cool!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello Everyone
Ticker - is it true that nothing will grow near those walnut trees?

Appleton, WI

Most perennials will grow near black walnuts. The trouble comes if you want to plant trees, shrubs and many of the vegetables.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I was wondering if there is a distance issue. I need to look that up. I have onewalnut and nothing will grow near it... but it is an old large tree with lots of roots and it shades a lot too. I don't know if it is the walnut chemical or just the fact that it is a big tree and competitive. A neighbor told me about the chemical that limits competition.

Appleton, WI

The chemical - juglone, interferes with a plants ability to take up nutrients, but not all plants are susceptible. Black Walnut trees themselves take up a lot of the available nutrients and moisture, so care must be taken to keep the entire area moist. It is also a good idea to spread compost, chop up leaves in fall and spread on the garden, plus fertilize your plants. The shade is probably the biggest culprit though - thinning out the canopy to let in some light would be helpful.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I have no problem growing clems, poppies, hosta, lily, peony, iris, daylily and a bunch of other stuff I've probably forgotten about under Black Walnut trees. They are exceptionally good for growing hostas under since they have a tap root and there isn't a lot of root competition under them. I think it's tomatoes that don't do well under them, and that's fine, I don't grow my tomatoes there. :) LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.