What pest is feasting on my Hagley Hybrid?

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

This morning, before the sun was even up, I went out with a flashlight with intentions of catching whatever pest has eaten my trumpetvines down to the ground- as well as my scarlet runner beans (planted four times already), echinacea, and my mystery clems. The clems damage is pretty minimal so far, but I'm finding more and more holes every day. I brought my daughter out with me because I freak out thinking of infestations and I give her a quarter/slug. That excites her considering the number I was catching in my Guinness slug traps each night- she had visions of wealth. Turns out, we couldn't find ONE slug. I found only one in my beer traps this morning and it appeared to be a baby. The Sluggo must be working. Anyway, as we were inspecting the infected plants, my daughter said "no slugs, only roly-polys. I always thought roly-poly was just a kid name for caterpillar. Turns out, I'm pretty far off. Anyway, I found several earwigs (YIKES), about a thousand roly-polys (although ALL were on the ground beneath the plants, none on them), and the only pest I spotted actually on a plant was something I can only describe as a tiny yet long mosquito. So, by now; the sun is up- I notice my Hagley Hybrid has some issues- big half-circle holes around the margins of the sepals. The other pest damage is almost solely to the inside of the plant's leaves or sepals- none are around the margins like that. The only other plants in my yard with similar damage are peonies. Does this sort of damage look familiar to anyone? There is no damage near the bottom of the plant either. This is at the very top of the vine which is wrapped around the railing of my deck.

Thumbnail by MTnic
Delaware, OH

some kind of a caterpillar traveling thru. or earwigs. use a sluggo with earwig control also or bug getta plus. one that does snails and earwigs both.
do you have any tomoatoes or vegetables growing near the clems? these veggies attract a lot of insects that will munch clems a bit.

(Zone 4a)

Ugh sorry to see the damage.....looks like whatever it is is enjoying feasting on your flowers.....It could be earwigs like Guru suggested. Try to get rid of those UGLY bugs!!! Yuck! I hate them.

Delaware, OH

ususlly if it is earwigs you will see holes chewed in the sides of unopened flower buds..classic earwig damage is that.

Appleton, WI

It looks like typical earwig damage. They hide in damp, dark places, like under the mulch on the shady side of the plant. I find them hiding between the cross pieces of the wood trellises and fence. If the plant is very dense, they will be hiding in the interior of the plant. They hide under flat rocks and stones that are stacked if it stays damp.

I'm going out shorty on a seek and destroy mission. I've had enough.

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I've been on a seek and destroy mission since before the sun came up! So far I don't think there are holes in the unopened flower buds, but I'm not certain either. Is the hole visible before the bud opens? I know that I have an earwig problem- there is no doubt there, but the damage on this plant and the peonies is WAY different than the other plants damaged- they are also in different areas. In the earwig infested area where my trumpetvines were decimated, the clems look pretty good except for those closest to the ground. The holes are completely different than the ones on the Hagley. The Hagley is very close to another trumpetvine- one that hasn't even been touched by any pest. So, I suspect the pests responsible for the trumpetvine damage and the damage to the Hagley are not the same. Unfortunately I apparently have lots of pests? What a strange year. Although I'm new to gardening, I've never seen such icky bugs in such vast numbers. The Hagley is not even a year old- I wouldn't consider it dense at all so I don't see those ugly bugs hiding inside the plant, but maybe I'm just missing them. I've searched around all of the nearby rocks- I didn't find one earwig. By now, I'm sure they are well on their way to eating my brain.

Delaware, OH

it is a buggy year.
i have never seen earwigs not eat holes in sides of buds. have had various caterpillar type bugs chew as you posted.
treat for slug and earwig and use some bayer 3 in one also, i spray it on the ground, the ground covers ands shrubs near the clems vs the clems themselves and it does provide some control. i will be doing this myself today or tomorrow as i am o a business trip next week mon thru fri and want to set up some control. right now not much being eaten here, but it is very buggy. using the 3 in one now helps precent powdery mildew which is what you need to do prevent it. easier to prevent than cure. after all this rain, in plants prone to mildew and crowded areas with poor air flow.......
some spray the clems directly with this, when i use it on the shrubs and ground and ground cover they get some.

got to get out there, rain excuse is over here...

Appleton, WI

I started using Sluggo with earwig control this year. I found only one slug by the hostas, few pill bugs, and only one earwig. I should have put it down by the clematis.

Bayer 3 in 1 sounds easier in the long run, though.

Delaware, OH

i think you have to use both. 3 in one i doubt gets rid of slugs and earwigs, even if it has a slight discouraging effect.i am putting some bug getta plus down tomorrow near plants clems that have had problems iwth snail snad ear wigs before and doing th eground and ground cover and shrub quick spray with the 3 in one. prevention is the name of the game, but believe me, i have walked out there some mornings and found troubles and all any of us can do it try and prevent and be proactive and if that fails react swiftly.
i hate to use pesticides, but am also not willing to lose the seasons beauty to the buggers. so i use as little as possible...but using these products proactively has made a nice difference in the garden this year.

Appleton, WI

There is a fantastic place in the state that sells hosta. The gardens on their property are gorgeous and, of course, filled with hosta. They use a product similar to Bug Getta. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single hole in the hostas.

The garden is so large, they hold weddings there accommodating 300 people. They made me a believer in the stuff whatever the brand name.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.