Hackberry Trees, etc, #4

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Goodnight Charlie....think I will leave the thread as it is, since it's just you and me till LouC gets back. We might be at 200, but if anybody complains, then I'll change it when they do.
You have a good day tomorrow...
I have not done a thing worth talking about today, that's for sure.

I did have some pretty MG blooms this morning....they remind me of the cornfields back home when I was growing up.

Sleep well...

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,
Fine re thread.
Lovely composition:
garden structure, folk art, vibrant blue and orange:
artistically put-grown together!

Shock today at third garden. Found landscape maintenance company had sprayed a short cobble path between flowerbeds with Roundup (last week). I always maintain this path by partially disassembling and reassembling it (takes about two hours). Not pleased to have to do this after it had been sprayed. As said, with the change in rules, there's some confusion here.
We going to go from signed sprayed areas to non-signed sprayed areas. Not a complete improvement.

Couple of pictures from our garden.
Monkshood (Stainless Steel).
Love monkshood. Of course, I don't consume it!

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Persicaria (Dimity)

Tough about the cobble path. And tough to not be clearly informed of the rules.

I love monkshood...that is lovely.

Here's my other love/hate relationship....
bindweed...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Persicaria....haven't seen that in years...very sweet plant, I think, usually a nice filler.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

The bindweed is pretty. Must say I have a mental block against uninvited vine type things. Too much of a moralist. Lying on top off others and taking their sun doesn't seem to be an honorable way of making a living!

The persicaria is a small one and something of a spreader, but shallow rooted and easy to reduce or move around.

Top of two of my absolutely favorite perennials.
culver's root (Fascination) and PL (going undercover) Morden Pink.
The flower spikes of Fascination are noted for fasciation (growing along a line, rather than to a point). I read recently that that tends to make them bend. Funny what you don't notice until somebody tells you!

I recently wrote an article on Culver's root, and grew more and more attached to it. It is becoming one of my favorites, though I don't have any, but am on a search locally for it. It also has quite a history. Speaking of, I don't know if you have ash trees there, but my article today is on the ash tree, and I just had a conversation with a friend in central KY who knows trees much better than I, and he tells me there is now an ash borer, and it is causing devastation among ash trees. I hate to hear that. I loved that tree, and lost it a few years ago... The demise of trees or other favorite plants hurts my heart.

Yep, to the parasitic vines....but this one is so pretty against my cedar.

Meant to give you this link to the ash tree thing, but at the time I wrote it, I didn't know about the bore.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1952/

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I am lurking, guys but this new iMac laptop is not so quick to learn for me.
I still don't know how to download pictures and I don't start classes until July 20. It is so hot here everything is dormant anyway. 102-105 for the last 12 days, nights don't get below 85. I water and water and water, keep everything I can under some sort of shade (think of a school for Mary Poppins wantabe's with umbrellas of every size all over the yard.

Still the plants have crisp edges. About every 10 years we have one of these summers. Once we had 43 days above 100 and some of those were in the 100+teens.

Sorry to complain so. My electric and water bill will probably equal a total of 6 months of normal weather.

Christi

Didn't mean you had to comment, Charlie....but thanks.

Going to start a new thread now....

Here we go.....come join me on our new thread....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1014920/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.