seed pod HELP

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

HI, I found a seed pod on one of my iries its still green ,what do I do ????...Sharon

South Hamilton, MA

If you want it, let it stay & harvest when it starts to turn brown & cracks open at the seams.

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

O.k. when do I get to plant the seeds???

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Keep in mind the seeds will not be plants that are exactly like the parent.

South Hamilton, MA

Let the seed dry naturally. We use small paper picnic plates, after having some develop mold in a cup. We plant in potting soil in a plastic flat (from garden center) or could use a pot, depending on # of seeds. Sink container outside in the ground up to the top edge--you can place evergreen boughs on the top, but not so thickly that seeds don't get the benefit of winter moisture: snow cover? or just plain snow? Seeds should be planted at a shallow depth (half a finger deep) & should stay covered with soil. Milwaukee cold should take care of that. If pod colapses before harvest; it is empty.

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO I HOPE I GET ALOT OF SEEDS AND ALLGOES WELL i WONDER WHAT I'LL GET I'M SURE IT WILL BE NICE!!!

South Hamilton, MA

Hope so,plants sometimes have their own ideas

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

IrisMA,
when would we do that in our area ? our daughter in Ma is in zone 6 whereas I am in a upgraded zone 5a.

I have several goodsize plastic containers about 2 inches high I could use for the seeds.Are you putting drainage holes in them ?

Thanks,I would love to try that .

South Hamilton, MA

The flower flats are from garden centers so already have holes. 2" sounds too shallow for the potting soil, would advise pots. We are 6a only because we are 5 miles from the ocean, would use the same technique if we were further west in zone 5. This yr having poor germination so far & can only hope the rain is not rotting seed. It just may be the lack of sun, but they are late.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm so I could use some seeds I have already NOW ?

Taylorsville, KY

I use yogurt cups -- cheap and you are recycling them. Also, if you do get good, viable seeds, be prepared to wait. It can take up to 3 years to see your first flower. The first time I did it with an insect cross, I waited and waited. The 3rd year, it finally bloomed -- terrible blossom and form, plus it was the color of asphalt -- dark gray/green/brown yeck. So all that work and waiting for nothing. Now I only plant those seeds that I get from crosses I have made -- some are still "yech", but at least I know it was my cross that did it!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

MissIrisBert,
I know what you mean about crosses.I haven't done any with any irises but with DL and last year I was rewarded with huge darkred blooms which were almost 8 inches across.Had my husband go out help me hold the open bloom while I took photos.Got a pic somewhere,some others surprised me as well.Pretty ones but also a couple of yellows which I wasn't fond of.They will be moved this year after they bloom.I also waited 3 years ! before I saw some blooms but it was worth the wait for me,will dabble again this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.