Canna ID Question

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello all!!

I have a question about the Cleopatra Canna. I have noticed some DG members asking for an id on a canna and it has a black stripe on it - it is identified as Cleopatra. Is that the only canna that has the black strip on the leave? I am wondering b/c I was sent some cannas from my Grandparents that they purchased at a canna show. They do not remember their names and this is one of the beauties they sent me. Now it has not bloomed yet and looks like it will be a bit before it does. I am just wondering if this might be Cleo b/c if it is - I will call of the search for one. ; ) Thank you for your help!!

Dana ; )

Thumbnail by emeraldsgarden
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

looks like Cleo to me :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Me too.

Winnsboro, TX

It looks like Cleopatra to me too, but I'm more concerned that it's leaf doesn't look very healthy to me. I'm worried about the discoloration in the leaf. I'm not sure but it could be a virus. Maybe others could chime in.
Marian

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'd give it some food or compost to perk it up. Hill country soil needs a bit of help now and then is all.

I have been adding things to the soil and feeding them. Thank you for all of your help!!!

Thanks,
Dana ; )

I have some blooming now and have the stripe on the leaf just like that. Next picture is the bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

Here is the bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't you just love how Cleo blooms can turn out so many different ways?
And I adore the leaves.
Here's one of mine..........

Thumbnail by morganc

I have more of my cannas blooming and some of them are the yellow with the spots of red. There are so many variations it is so neat. Only one though has the black/purple stripe on the leaves (it has not bloomed yet). The other ones are just variegated. So I guess Cleo is the only canna with this sort of bloom? I am really enjoying them!!!

Dana ; )

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

What a vamp "Ms Cleo" is!!! .. lol I really like her, too :)
Yes, she is the only canna with this chimera.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.