Making a grand show this morning!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

very pretty. where do you get your hardy hibiscus

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

New one for me this year.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Local nursery,here in town,and they don't seem to get very many,and they sell like hot cakes,must be there early if you are plan to get the new varieties.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

can't even get old varietys here

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got 4 this year and need to get them planted. I need information as to how and where to plant them. I know the wild ones over home, MD, grow near wet areas. But I see them planted in the full sun here,NJ, not near any water. Can they take part shade?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a couple of these and the bugs love them :( Mine also need to be corralled like peonies or they fall over even before they bloom. Mine are in shade part of the day so I would say yes Marie. Mine are almost 4 foot tall and not corralled at the moment....

-Kim
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/982/

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I find the blooms last longer if they get afternoon shade,and yes they love water,especially when daytime temps reach above 90*.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

This is one I ordered from Brent and Becky's and planted in May - first blooms opened today.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Twin blooms of my 'Lady Baltimore' this morning. Mine are on top of a slope, thus very well drainage. Though, regular irrigations is needed here during the hot/humid summerdays.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Mine's in a planter, but I'll put it in the bed that drains into the creek this fall.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Very nice colors on both plants,I find after a few yrs mine seem to not come back and have to replant them again,has anyone else had that problem as well?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ditto, I do. My original 'Lady Baltimore' disappeared this year. Luckily, some of her offsprings made it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I like LB by far, her offsprings some comes true from seeds, others looks like Lunar White.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I was wondering about the offspring!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mine made seedpods, I let nature took its course. The following spring I noticed the seedlings, then flowers. So I was lucky. I planted two cultivars, both Lord Baltimore and Lady Baltimore. The Lord bids me farewell last year. This year (early spring) I added Texas Star -- patiently waiting for Texas Star to bloom.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Texas Star planted twice never came back,Lady and Lord came back 3 yrs in a row,before never to return.Turn of the Century never came back.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, I've a friend in Tn. (zone 6'ish), with beautiful Texas Star, so microclimate is/maybe responsible for this happening? I was just wondering.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

There's a lady around the corner,had one for 2 years hers didn't come back,and hers would get huge 6ft,loaded with blooms,much bigger than mine.
I'm wondering if it has more to do with were the plant came from?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I've had this Texas Star for 5 or 6 years. It is in a basket in my koi pond. Seems to thrive there. It stays in the pond year round and starts sending up shoots every springs. I put a piece in the ground last year. It is full of buds,but have not opened yet.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Don't know the name of this one. Ran across it a Home Depot several years back. Blooms up a storm all summer long. The blooms are huge. Need to measure. They are larger than a dinner plate.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thats good to know,it will survive in pond year round!!!
Thanks

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well i do believe, it is naturaly a swamp plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.