Echinacea "Meringue" is Beautiful!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I took this photo at Lowes yesterday. The shipment of these they got in last week is so beautiful now. The blooms are so huge and "fluffy!" I see why they call it "Meringue" now. This is quickly becoming a favorite. It's even nicer than "Coconut Lime."

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here's one of the Meringue I got from Lowe's.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

One of the Pink DD.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

And here's the Coconut Lime I just got ALSO from Lowe's 3 days ago.

However, I didn't like the way they handle their plants. What I don't get is, they have all these flowering Coneflowers on shelves of rolling racks way too short for the height of the plants. Therefore causing damage to the plant or cutting off or bending their bloom stalks. Meantime they have short or low growing plants displayed right out in the open display tables.

Thumbnail by Tex68

They had these on a big table. I just think they are such beautiful plants. The blooms really are impressive. I can't wait to divide this one and make more. I wish someone could make an orange Echinacea that grows as well as this plant or Pink Double Delight!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

These are very pretty. I have CL and PDD. They are looking good considering the wet and cool weather so far this month and lack of real sunshine. PDD is looking a little pale and the stems are thin still, but has many stems and more buds than last year. It is not a robust plant here so far but it started as a four inch pot and is only in year two so all things considered doing well. CL is the only echinacea to bloom here so far. I was glad to see them come back so well this spring after a vicious ground hog attack last fall.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

there's an orange echie coming out with the looks and habit of CL and PDD........ 'marmalade' .............a little birdie has whispered into my ear....

i am hoping to see it growing in the trial gardens in 2 weeks.

GreenThumbsTN,

If they have an orange one that grows as well as these other doubles, they will sell tons of them! I'm amazed at Pink Double Delight, Coconut Lime, Razzmatazz and Meringue. They are all amazing plants. I can't say enough good things about them. I've tried all of them in several different conditions and they are definite winners. I think anyone could grow them.

I think there will soon be orange and yellow plants which perform just as good as the other Echinaceas. It just has to be! LOL.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow, nice photos. I never had a "double" Echie until about a month ago. For some reason I didn't think I would like them, but I was wrong...again. Now I'm a bit obsessed.
Jon

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Isn't "Coral Reef" like the orange version of Pink DD or Meringue. I just ordered a couple. I discovered LazySFarm is a lot cheaper on the new varieties (not plugs) but CicleH got the complete new varieties.

I'm on my second "Coral Reef" plant. Let's just say it hasn't been a good grower so far. I tried to get "Hot Papaya" but it seems to be hard to come by. "Hot Papaya" is an orange double. Coral Reef is kind of like a double "Summer Sky" I think. "Hot Papaya" is from the same people who released "Coconut Lime" and "Pink Double Delight" so I'm expecting it to be a great plant. We shall see!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

I was at Lowe's again today, of all things I ran out was peat moss so have to get a bag. They have several new varieties of Black Eyed Susan now. They have the new "Autumn" Black Eyed Susan - colors were so magnificent. It was tempting but I just don't have any more room.

One new variety which I already have is "Radiance" Black Eyed Susan only 10" tall (more of a crawler) got this huge blooms that look like a yellow Pink Poodle.

Hot Papaya will be a must have for me - room or no room to plant. But I don't think it's available until spring next year.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ech.Maniac -

You are so right about Pink Double Delight. I bought one at a local nursery last month and it has been blooming its head off for a few weeks now! It's like an echinacea on steroids! I just love it and wish I had bought two more.

I keep checking my local Lowe's for Merigue and there has been not one in sight : (((((( I saw "White Swan" and "Ruby Star" at Home depot today, though, but I'm really holding out for Meringue!

Checked out Lowe's for echinacea and they only had Magnus, what a bummer.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm really impressed with my Coconut Lime, but got it from a mail order place, don't remember which.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I am SOOOO way lusting after Hot Papaya!! I ordered 3 this spring, but the company emailed me & said they were too small, so I have to wait until fall! I am going to plant them between my Coconut Limes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.