What is this purple-red clematis?

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I think I have looked at every possible red/purple clematis and have yet to find one that looks just like this one. I just realized today that I have four of them- I have no idea why either. They have never been vigorous growers, but the blooms are very pretty. Is it Niobe? It appears most similar to Niobe I suppose, I'd consider them a wine color, they aren't nearly as red as they appear in this photo. . Any help anyone? Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by MTnic
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have an idea but would like to see a pic of it closerup with the flower more open and the anthers showing opened up..are the anthers red with yellow filaments or yellow with red?..hard to tell for me and that makes a huge difference when trying to id a Clem..thanks...Jeanne
also knowing the color of the bar helps...

Delaware, OH

could be Red Pearl.

Delaware, OH

i was also thinking it could be "vino" but the number of sepals and the angle of them is more red pearl. i am sure there are other choices. chalk hill sold red pearl, did you buy it from them in their close out sale perhaps?

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Here's a closer view, I will also upload another shortly.

Thumbnail by MTnic
Delaware, OH

i hold with vino or red pearl. where di you buy it and when?
seeing those anthers start to poke up and the upward facing sepals as it opens.

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

This picture is a close up of the anthers. I bought this plant as well as three others at a local nursery. I was under the impression that they were all 4 different plants. They all appear to be the same. I bought them last fall. I cannot locate the tags, but I'm pretty sure I thought they were all white- obviously they were all mislabeled! I have never seen Red Pearl or Vino sold locally, but that doesn't mean much either. It really is more purple than the photo suggests but definitely not purple. It really is an odd color. All of them are blooming and have been for a couple weeks, but the anthers look exactly the same on the new ones as the ones that bloomed initially. They are all in full sun and surprisingly I have yet to notice any significant fading.

Thumbnail by MTnic
Delaware, OH

checkout vino on cotw, also red pearl and see what fits best? i am sure there are other choices. weird you got 4 of same and reds to boot. clem karma is always fun! sounds lke a good plant not matter what it is.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Does your camera give true to life pics?..I was thinking "Westerplatte"..Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=596

Delaware, OH

to me westerplatte blooms never have the tulip curve, they are recurving from the beginning of opening. that said, i may be wrong. there is also a wavy outer margin on the photo of the mystery clem that i do not see on westerplatte. here is a westerplatte bloom from this year in my garden. not a great shot, but does show the recurve (arching backwards not upwards)

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

My camera takes nearly true-to-life pics, although it does appear less pink in person as compared to the photos. I'm going to go out and take a couple more pictures right now- maybe it has changed somehow. The color of Westerplatte is very close, but mine does not (thus far anyway) have any recurve. I was thinking maybe Ruutel?

Delaware, OH

ruutel is very burgundy...doesn't show up as red in the beginning for me.
if you know where you bought it

also call the nursery, someone there may remember what clems they had last year. weird all 4 were marked wrong.

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

The blooms on this plant vary in size but are smaller than my others. The posted pic has my hand in it as well for comparison in size.

Thumbnail by MTnic
Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Here is another pic....

Thumbnail by MTnic
Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

To me it does look burgundy, more in real life than in the photos. I called the nursery and I must have paid cash because they didn't have it on file. They didn't recall having any of the clems mentioned last year either. They really have pretty standard choices- not a lot of variation on plants in our area, people tend to plant petunias. YUCK. I can't rely on the nursery to label the plants they sell properly so I guess I can't rely on them telling me what they sold last year either. They apparently thought they had something different.

Thumbnail by MTnic
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

MTnic, It sure is a pretty one, even if you don't know for sure the name of it.

Janet

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I agree, it is pretty. All of them are blooming now too, it will be interesting to see how long they are in bloom. I just wish I knew for sure what it was so I knew how to better care for it. I guess time will tell.

Delaware, OH

can you send a picture of it to debbie fischer at silver star vinery and ask her if it is weterplatte or vino, or what she thinks? i think she would answer if you mention we recommeded it on the dg forum?

maybe it is westerplatte, but that one is one i have never seen at a garden center. nice to have 4 of anything. do you have them planted all together in one display or are you trying different areas in the garden for sun and shade results?

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I have one in a completely unprotected southern exposure, two together with in an area with partial sun, and the last climbing a tree in the middle of my perennial garden. I was a psycho gardener last year using flowers to cope with major stress and everything is a blur!! I have no idea what I was thinking when I planted them all over- which isn't to say I wouldn't do it the same way over again- I just doubt there was much thought in placement.

I will try to contact Debbie, maybe she can help! I will let you know what I find. I had no idea it would be this difficult to ID, I feel bad for even asking now!

Delaware, OH

also you can ask your nursery where they order from, and look at that selection online. or call that supplier. that would give you a list of red possibilities.
fun!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's an adventure, for sure.

The old line goes: A lock without a key is useless but a key without a lock is an adventure.

Now you've got the key!

(Zone 4a)

Hmmm interesting to find out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.