Cuban Pea

South, TX

I love my Cuban Pea vine. The color blue is wonderful and I love the ruffles! I have had it for about 7 years.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Hi Sallysblooms, tell me more! I like the look of this pleeeeeeeeeeeese.

pajonica

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That is pretty, but I cannot find it in Plant files .. do you know the genus and species? or perhaps another common name for it?

X

South, TX

It is usually called Cuban blue pea vine or butterfly pea vine, (Clitoria ternitea). Here is the link for the info on Daves. You can Google for more information too. I cut it back each late winter. Even here in south Texas, it doesn't want to be cold. The color is amazing. Hard to find, very odd why that would be. It does make seedpods each winter. My plants come back from the vine, but in really cold places, I am not sure if it could.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/528/

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Lovely! I've tried to grow this one and have never had good luck. I have some that I grew from seed this year, they are each in a 3" pot but they are only about 3-4" tall and seem to have stopped growing!

Any hints? Mine are in full sun, maybe they need a little shade?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I thought it might be that, but is yours a double?

X

South, TX

Maybe, the flowers sure are FRILLY!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah .. they certainly don't look like the ones in the plant file pictures!

X

Vieques, PR

We loved this and planted several --wow, now I can't get rid of them. They twine heavily and tight, really hard to get off other plants after just a few weeks. They seed prolifically, uncontrollably. Still love the flower, but wish I'd never planted any.

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Vieques, PR

This is how they grow: straight to the top of whatever support they find, then a jumble of brush, lots of flowers, dropping seed pods like rain.

Thumbnail by JPlunket
South, TX

I just keep mine trimmed and it is gorgeous.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I just can't seem to locate this here most frustrating!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Here's mine. wasn't supposed to be double but sure is looking like a double. I will certainly be collecting the seeds. It is just beautiful.
mj

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

I believe I got my from Onalee's. I see she has the white ones too. Think I may have to get those as well.

Dee

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful bloooms, Sally!

Dee, you are right...Onalee has all of them in a mix:
http://www.onalee.com/viewitem.php/onaleeisrael/pd1741851/Butterfly_Pea_Vines_Mixed_Seeds_Blue_White_and_Lavender

I prefer the centrosema, because the blooms are so much larger, but they don't have as long of a bloom period, as the clitoreas, which bloom for quite a while.

The centrosema blooms are about the size of a lens cap :0)

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

clitorias can come in double most of the ones i have grown start as singles and have a few doubles. i prefer the double ones .

South, TX

My double Cuban Pea is my very favorite blue flower. People always have a fit over it. :)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i love them too but didnt get any seeds last year as a frost hit before my pods could ripen pretty flowers though

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

mine sometimes is single and sometimes double...loaded w/ blooms right now and it's only a few feet tall.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

JPlunket, you should collect those seeds for trading... we would take some off your hand. :o

Vieques, PR

I'm going to do that!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

OK. Keep me in mind. I have some vining right now, but I haven't seen any bud yet, so lets see if I will get flowers and/or seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.