New garden

North Augusta, ON

DH is bored...soooo...he decided he wanted the right side of the driveway to match the left side. This is pure, rock hard, 150 year old packed driveway. I tried to get pics of him digging/hacking but the batteries died and he had it done before they charged. He broke 2 shovels in the process.
Here is the finished garden: roughly 12 ft by 8 ft.

Thumbnail by threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

Here is the pile of gravel he dug out. He dug it down 4 or 5 inches and filled it back in with compost.

North Augusta, ON

Here is the other side of the driveway he was trying to mirror:

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Wow! Great job on the 'digging'. Maybe he should have rented a jack hammer. That really looked compacted. Love the wood 'sculpture'.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

That's beautiful! The two of them together will provide a wonderful frame for your property. What a great guy you have there!

North Augusta, ON

hehehe...I wish it was done for me, although I will take full advantage of it. Mostly it appeared because the neighbour boys were parking their trucks there...then a couple days ago the survey guys came through this side of the road surveying lines for the pizza place down the road a bit that burned down...that paint mark wasn't even dry and DH was out there with strings marking that new bed!!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

He sounds like mine. I have as many beds in the front because he got tired of mowing so much lawn!

Yeah, my DSIL got so disgusted with folks turning around on the front lawn that we built out the front garden as far as we dare!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that was a lot of work, huh? Any idea what you're planting in there?

North Augusta, ON

It's been planted. Took a lot of seedlings from other beds that were coming up too thick. Feverfew, pansys, poppies, stingless nettles, asters...Mom will probably pop a few heuchera in there too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that was a lot of work.... looks like a nice spot

Planted already? That's fast work! Can't wait to see photos. Congratulations on a job well done!

North Augusta, ON

He is fast. I have to give the man credit...once he starts something he is like a man possessed until he has it finished. If I would have let him he'd of been out there all night working with the car's headlights on the area...

Sounds like another gardener we all know and love!

North Augusta, ON

Remember that big pile of gravel? I now have a nicely defined parking area! He was gonna put it in the garage and raise the floor so it doesn't flood in the Spring but found if he did that he couldn't stand up in there...he is 6'3". The driveway was plan "B"

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

The drive looks nice. A nice plan B.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks very nice!

North Augusta, ON

Thanks! He trimmed up that one overhanging hunk of wood and found a nicer one to replace the rotten piece in the middle. I like it a lot...until I run the car over the edge...which I will do eventually.
I'm working on getting some half whiskey barrels to line it with.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice job

It's beautiful. Great job!

North Augusta, ON

Thanks! My driveway has always been a rough spot...it is wide enough and long enough to park two transport trucks, with trailers, side by side. So much wasted space!
Although I like the look of the newly graveled area I have discovered it isn't as bare foot friendly as it was before...my feet aren't happy!

ouch!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.