Thunbergia mysorensis- Clock Vine information

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Don't forget to add me, I was first, LOL

Dee

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

you are already one there :0)
-T

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Seedpicker, thanks for adding me. And I'll be looking for you on ebay !

I'll try to post on here to let you all know, when I have some ready :0)

Thank you all for lighting the fire under my rear end, lol...
-T

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

yeah, add me to that list too. glad I checked out this post. No need to list it on eBay, I can send you a check or paypal to your email address if that is easier. That way you won't have to pay eBay fees. More money for you, less money charge to us, etc...

I had one of those blue thunbergia last year and I brought it in for the Winter but it did not survive. Very sad. :(

ok, I'll add you...maybe I should list some two-packs or three packs, lol...

coccinea with a grandiflora, or fairy moon, etc., for those wanting an instant collection, lol...

This is who I have listed...did i miss anyone?
-T

ColibriGardener
Kayjones
DeeinFL
mjsponies
LiliMerci

By the way, I grew Thunbergia Alata last year from seeds and they bloomed like crazy in the summer, but I had to hand pollinate them to get seeds. My vine did not come back this year.

Seedpicker, I would be interested in coccinea and Thunbergia battiscombei. And I have a pergola, perfect for climbing of the coccinea.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Lili-
that WOULD be perfect for growing the coccinea. It would die back to the ground each winter, and you probably wouldnt' get it on a blooming schedule for a few years(it would have to learn to adjust it's schedule to yours), but it would eventually reward you in a few years, with gorgeous blooms...

I think it took mine growing like you have it there(before we started wrapping our porch) about three years, to start blooming in November, instead of waiting until April...not bad!

If you grew it there, and then did like we do(wrap your porch in greenhouse plastic, and cover the roof with clear polycarbonate panels, you could grow just about anything you wanted to in there!! frost free!

:0)

It is smart of you to hang your lights BEFORE your vines cover every inch...it is a little late for me, lol...wish I had done that...

As for the battiscombei, it is frequently sold as a vine, but really isn't...it probably wouldn't even reach to the top of the pole...

I don't really know what to call it, since it isn't a shrub, either, but it just sorta grows tall, and then flops over, or you can stake it. I have mine growing within a bed of roses, and the roses hold it up, but they don't really vine, or cling, or wrap themselves...

They'd still do really well for you in your area. I just dont' consider them a true vine, like you'd typically use for your type of poles...

It would do well tacked to a lattice on a fence...and would fan out and just reach the top of a fence, but not really wrapping a pole material, in my opinion...
-T

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH... A list... can I be next ..although this flys in the face of reason...as I hear I have to relocate ..

interesting idea, wrapping the pergola. Never thought of that.

Gainesville, FL

Kay,
I'll just add my experience with T. coccinea and T. myesorensis in a greenhouse, you can file it under "info that could possibly be useful for the future", LOL.

Even though these are great vines and the coccinea is rare, I removed both from my greenhouse completely because they are invasive in an enclosed space, and I could only deal with one hugely aggressive vine (jade vine) at a time. They are also a magnet for scale and mealiebugs, which have a lot of area to hide on these vines. You MUST keep on top of this, inspecting them very frequently (like, less than weekly) and starting treatment ASAP to keep the bugs from spreading to other plants.

It was lucky for me that I discovered that they will grow outside here.

Blackshear, GA

I would like to be added to the list, the 3 pack sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Gina, as always, I appreciate your experience and insight AND your willingness to share it with ME!

Gordon!!

What?!...well, I sure hope this turns into a good thing for you. Hopefully you will find a better place, with more space, and maybe even real land to dig in!! You strike me as a man that needs at LEAST an acre!! ;0)

Lili-that is what we do...it is our porch in summer, and greenhouse in winter. That way we don't have a large empty greenhouse hogging up garden space in summer, and I get to grow "the fun stuff".

But, again, you could still grow the thunbergias, without wrapping, ...they'll just freeze back to the ground, but return from the roots.

If you do decide to wrap your porch(we get the plastic from home depot in the painters drop cloth section), then you can grow even more exciting things than just the thunbergias. As Goth said, I can now grow things like my jade vines, that I would not be able to grow without the protection.

Goth-I have seen scale on mine a few times over the years, but have not experienced it to the degree you describe. Usually when I see it, it is because the vine is out of control, and needs a trim. Usually after trimming it, I don't even need to treat them. They just disappear.

And, yes I agree with you. There are more premium vines to grow, that will require less maintenance. The Coccinea is not nearly as bad as the grandiflora, but the grandiflora will drive you nuts on a pole like that, unless it gets a chance to die back. We've trimmed them perfectly, and then a week later, you can't even walk by for the tangle of new shoots from top to bottom...it is a tremendous amount of pruning to keep it on a pole that you want to be able to walk by...UNLESS they freeze back to control their growth.

For some reason, if they freeze back, they are more willing to wrap around a pole, instead of going wild, like they will, if grown in a frost free environment.

I finally removed my grandifloras from the "greenhouse" poles (although when I look back on those photos of them blooming across the roof, I lament just a little), and have put some on the back garden room that is not protected, and they can die back.

I'm much happier with the current arrangement.

GAgirl1066-I have added you and Gordon to the "notify" list :0)

-T

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh My Gosh - GordonHawk - How in the WORLD are you going to move all the amazing things you have growing- or will you just take cuttings? Samantha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.