Just a quick Hello

Buffalo, NY

Hi everyone
Just wanted drop in and Say hello. I'm new to DG and I'm sure glad I found it.
what a great comunnity with tons of information. boy have I been missing out :)

Happy gardening,

TG

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Hey there, TG! Welcome to our family. We can't wait to see garden pix and hear some garden tales. How has the season been for you so far?

Buffalo, NY

Lets see..

Tomatos - Thick and stocky this year Looks like the"ll produce well
Peprers - Holding their own but need some hotter days
Cucumbers - really taking off, setting fruit already
Onions - growing like crazy in between the tomato plants
Broccili - still small but healthy
Carrots & Radish - Ready to harvest already
Culiflower - same but it's early
Corn - 2' high stalks look good so far
Strawberies - runners all over :) first year for them
Wife - ready to toss me and my 100's of transplants out (LOL)

TG

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

LOL!

We ALL have stories about our family members who are ready to either toss us out or have us committed! I see that you'll fit right in here at DG!!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have tomato envy. Welcome to DG and the NE forum.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hey, TG, welcome. Sounds like you will be eatin good! My broccoli is bolting. First year for me, don't know what I did wrong. And cabbage worms. ICK! They sure can hide well.

Buffalo, NY

Yep she loves my wacky experiments with the cuttings though. My entire sunroom is filled to the brim :) She's only concerned when I start singing to them.. haha

Sorry to hear about your broccoli Jan. mine are pretty young transplats yet. I'll have to keep a keen watch over them. Seems kind of early for them to start bolting on you though.
hmmm......

TG

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi TG Sending greeting from down here in NORTHEASTER Florida- these nice people let me visit when the temp down here keep me inside( Already at the brain baking stage down here). Come visit us in other Forums. I hang out all over. LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Welcome TG!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That's exactly what I thought, too, since it has been unseasonably cool this year.

Yes, do check out other forums. There are many I ahven't even gotten too yet.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, TG, welcome to DG! i don't know how far Buffalo is from the Western MA border but we're having a get-together there this weekend.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963915/

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey, TG! Yer just 'round the corner! Except for being behind about an inch on the rain, we've been getting some good growing weather in these here parts.

From here to Milton, is roughly 463 miles and around 7 and a half hours. Not a bad Sunday drive.

Welcome to DG!

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm about 4 hrs. west of Buffalo. I pass through when I go see irisMA. Welcome, these guys are alot of fun.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jumper I keep forgetting you're irisMA's daughter.

edited for grammar

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 4:49 PM

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

That's ok. People all over seem to do that.(other forums too)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome to DG and the NE Forum TG ^_^ I sooo did not know you were irisMA's daughter jumper2 :O Lucky you!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

welcome tg - can you go over to willie's and find out what he is using on his veggies that make them so big so early?

Thomaston, CT

Yes, TG---we want an honest report! Welcome...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hello and welcome TG!!!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hey, TG! Welcome to the fold! It sounds like your garden is WAY ahead of mine here in NH! My cukes are still looking like babies, but I do have a couple tomatoes on my Early Girls. My crops are the opposite of yours.......my broccoli plants are huge and everything else is looking like it really wants some sun.

Like you, I love experimenting with cuttings. You might be just the one to ask this......my son's huge magnolia tree in Connecticut has lots of "sucker" limbs or shoots coming out of the main trunk - probably where a limb was cut off at some point. I plan to remove the suckers, but am wondering if I should bring a few back up here and try to root them. Think they'd take??

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

D-nut, now you know my iris source! Heehee.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can't hurt to try Louise

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome TG, the more the merrier.

You will have a lot of fun here at Dave's Garden.

Torries mom - Ivy

Hey TG

A lot of knowledge here! Not from me though.

Louise - the tree is a hard wood tree? I would plank some hormone rooting on some of them.

Sherrie

Buffalo, NY

Oh my... I must say that I overwhelmed by the welcomes I received here.
Thank you everyone I'm happy to be here. I feel warm allover :)

Carrilamont, Thanks for the invite. It's a little short notice for me but wow! those pictures are super What I beautiful site. Wish I could attend.
Hi, FlowerJen, Wren, Jumper, Dahlianut, Jan, Onewish1, Torriesmom, Sherrie and everyone.
Hey Willie your garden looks Great! We really did get a good start here this year. The soil stayed a bit cool even though we did have allot of sunshine. I think that helped my plant stalks really thicken up.

Okay Wha & Robindog I'm going to have to plan a spy mission on willie and see what he's up to. (LOL)

Hi, DonnieBrook
Yep, Would definitely give those suckers a shot! Sounds like new growth to me so I would treat them like soft cuttings with luck and a little rooting hormone You just might get them to root. Are they soft or hard and woody?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

TG and Sherrie - I haven't examined the suckers closely, but I'd say they are hard and woody. I was planning to scrape a bit of the bark off and dip them in rooting powder and just stick them in the ground and a couple in pots. Always fun to try!! Thanks for your thoughts on them. My son's magnolia tree is the talk of his neighborhood. Here's a shot of it.....

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Thomaston, CT

What a beauty, Louise! I'd take cuttings, & try---nothing lost! My art classmate gave me a sheet on taking cuttings from roses---she has a rose that she calls 'Cemetery Rose', because that's where she clipped a piece from---I'm going to do the same to hers.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

It is so strange - in Florida absolutely ANYTHING will root quickly from a cutting. All you have to do is stick it in the ground. Up here, I don't have as much luck, but I still like to try. Right now I have 8 cuttings from my rhodie bush. So far, some of them may be a go. To me, cuttings are the ultimate fun of gardening.......it just excites me no end to turn "cast-aways" into beautiful free plants! Our problem is the car space when we have to close up the houses.....cuttings don't help the situation!! I've been known to tuck them in among the luggage, etc. LOL

I have found
1- use a clean blade
2-make a long cut on the what ever degree angle - longer the better chance.
3- use the root hormone - I use the solution, get the cutting and stick it in the solution. Make sure the bottle, jar or what ever you use is sealed from light. Then stick it in the ground.

4???? I have read on one forum people swear by using cinnamon. ???? Then again I dont know what forum I was on.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

What do you do with the cinnamon, Sherrie? Is it used as a type of rooting powder?

As to your #2, I make a long angular cut as well, and I also "shave off" a few spots on the stem with a very sharp knife when I'm rooting woody cuttings. I also get rid of most of the leaves and those that I keep get cut in half - unless they are already really small.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I saw that too, you use it instead of rooting hormone.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

It works as a rooting hormone? I didn't know that!

I thought they use the cinnamon as a disinfectant or anti-fungal, or something like that.

Smells WAY better than chems, I bet!

I have a rhody cutting in h2o and cinnamon right now. I guess time will tell.

Thomaston, CT

The rose tips said to put cutting in a plastic bag with damp potting soil---sterile---make a slit on bottom of cutting---close bag---we'll see! I remember my Dad grafting stuff when I was a kid---somethings took, some didn't---same approach.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Robin - I remember my Mom doing what she called "mossing off" cuttings. She would nick the bark of a stem on a plant she wanted a cutting from, then she would wrap wet moss around it and seal it all in plastic wrap secured at each end of the wrap by string or something. At some point when she could see enough new roots through the clear plastic, she would prune off the new plant from the host plant. I think I'll try that at some point - just for memory sake. LOL

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Louise, that technique works excellently ... or use anything! Peat, potting soil, etc. Mom used a sponge once. Dad brought home a ton of these really flat, pink ones about the size of a sheet of paper. We had a supply of them for years.

I have done that one tons of things. Rusty Fig, Schefflera, Mulberry, Lilac, Rubber tree, and I am sure other things.

I am going to have to try moss.

I also add plastic ware to support the nicked area. Make your cut, attach the plastic supports on opposite sides of the stem, then wrap in loosely with saran wrap (cinch off one end), fill with medium, water, securely close off the other end of saran wrap around medium.

I use plastic knives for the big stuff, but found that sometimes I only need the handles from spoons or forks for the smaller stuff. I often had trouble at the nick where the branch would bend clean over from being weakened there.

Let it grow!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Louise & Willie---I'm giving it a go.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Boy, Willie, that's some really helpful info!! especially the part about the plastic knives, etc.. That make a lot of sense. I'm looking around here to see what I want to try it on. How long does it take before you have enough roots to cut it off and plant it? I have to work within our time frame of leaving in October.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Length of time depends on environment and subject, I am guessing. I have had some thing start rooting in a few days, others took a couple weeks, or so.

It shouldn't take months, I wouldn't think.

Of course, the longer you leave it attached to mama, the longer it can concentrate on building a better rootball.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.