Heidi Chronicles: Episode #9064 - ish

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons who frequent my backyard feeder. Ok, maybe 9064 is a slight exaggeration, but it sure feels close, and I swear I think I've used up all of the titles on the planet now.

Anyhow, it's that time of year again. The 09 kits should be showing up at dinner soon. We are waiting on pins and needles to see the little cuties. There is no time so magical at the buffet as when babies are present. We love to watch the little fluff ball as they go about the process of learning about their new world. We enjoy seeing the world through their eyes.

The prior thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/994725
The original thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

The photo below was one of those accidental 'catches', a very happy accident. I was trying to capture the raccoon standing upright, but she kept dropping back down to all 4s before the shutter closed on my slow digital camera, so this time I tossed a peanut hoping to keep her upright. What I ended up with instead is a rather awesome moment frozen in time with the raccoon in the amazing process of catching that peanut in mid air - and in the dark at that.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I was so happy to get this pic of Echo (Jeani, thanks for reminding me) in her characteristic "you want a piece of this?" stand. This is exactly how she stands all the time, and it never fails to make me laugh. I hope you can see how different this stance is from Jerry's "throw me the ball" stand. I also think Echo looks a bit like a wild west gunslinger, hands in position in case she needs to pull a fast draw. When I hold up a cookie or other treat, she actually walks forward while still standing up right that way and takes the treat in her mouth before getting down to walk away.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi trying to enjoy her melon while this one yearling who, judging from Heidi's tolerance of her behavior must surely be Heidi's 4th kit from 08, the one I never named and can't ID. This youngster does this all of the time. She also reaches in and 'steals' peanuts, eggs, etc from Heidi. Of course, Heidi only permits her to steal things she's willing to share. When Heidi really wants that egg, for instance, she is quick to say, "Back off, Buddy."

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Close up of Fraidy looking rather rough around the edges but still much better than she looked a few nights ago when I was worried that she would starve.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

picture I took of Fraidy when I 1st got out there and before I remembered that it's that time of year again. A reminder of what humidity looks like - for those of you in drier climates who might be missing the fun.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi eating. Shows how close she is to my leg. She will come closer, right up to the leg, on her own, but for her to chose to eat (longer time than just coming up for a treat) this close is a big change.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Now here is Dennis even after I tried and tried to get rid of her. The 'light' black thing in my leg, the darker black and white item (with Dennis nose on it) is my tote bag. She's about 2 seconds away from trying to get in the bag (again).

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

One more pic of Fraidy - for now.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hey I first. whoohoo.

Love the pics. Sittign here smilign away lookign at them. That last pic ya took of fraidy is especially good too , really showing her color s and features to me.

Echo reminds ya of them teenage kids, hanging around with hands hanging down saying I be cool man..I be cool. LOL

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Great pictures Cheryl! I am so happy to see Fraidy looking considerable better. The yearling is adorable and I can see why Heidi can rarely say NO to her. And the picture of Echo is just darling. I 'm like Starlight .........just sitting here with a big smile on my face :)

Last night I put food and MM's out before it was still light (close to dusk) Hubby was out weedeating and as soon as I got back inside the fence one of the raccoons was right there. It looks to be the size of your yearlings or maybe younger. Anyway ,Allen came to look over the fence and was able to see her clearly. The only other time he has caught a glimpse of them out there it was too dark to get a good look at them. This one had a beautiful mask for sure. I don't stay out often so there may be more but I have gone from seeing 4 or more to two and now just one. I just hope its because I'm just not staying out there often and not because something has happened to them.

Judy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm here too..... trying to catch up on the posts i've missed.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I'mstill here, just wanted to post to get my ''watch' in.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

Thanks. Yeah, that Echo makes me chuckle every time I see her standing up like that - which is pretty much all night whenever I have cookies.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

Thanks.

As for your raccoons, it could be that your "Heidi" has run everyone else off (for now) because her babies are about ready to come to dinner. They'll probably be back in time.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here's another look at Heidi and that yearling who always 'shares' the watermelon. The yearling manages to break some chunks of melon off the side to eat them. Sometimes the yearling will grab the side of the melon and try to pull it out from under Heidi - while Heidi is eating. Sometimes you'll see the melon start to slide ever so slightly toward the yearling who is tugging on it - and Heidi's face will just continue to move with the melon, ignoring the kid. When Heidi shifts back to her cat/dog food, the yearling will move in and start eating the melon. Then when Heidi returns to her melon the yearling doesn't want to move over and give it up. Heidi will move her body up beside the youngster head turned slightly away apparently to protect herself in case the youngster gives fight. Then she will just use her body to shove the youngster aside and take her place at the melon. Since Heidi is bigger and heavier than the kid, it's not difficult for her to shove the youngster out of the way without a fight. Often the youngster will snap 'at' her (but without getting close enough to really bite her) just to show her angst at having to give up the sweet, juicy melon.

A few times back when Heidi was eating over by the pool, the youngster stood in the pool with her hands on the edge of the pool and then stretched w-a-a-y-y over to the melon to scoop up and grab a chunk while Heidi was eating cat food. Heidi would fuss at her and the youngster would quickly retire to the pool to eat her catch. A few minutes later she would sneak up to the edge of the pool once more and bide her time until she saw another opportunity to grab some melon. When I put 'whole' or nearly whole melon halves out there, the yearling would pull out amazingly large chunks, the size of a large apple or larger.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A yearling

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The same yearling. Note the one next to her looks a little unhappy to have her there.

Note: we are now in the rainy season. daily monsoons. Every day on the way home the water is flowing over onto the edge of the road. The backyard is a swamp. I can't get out there to do any work. The mower would sink in the mud and destroy the grass not to mention that every time I'm home and have a chance to do any work, it's raining. So, please overlook the nasty, ickiness back there right now. I know, I know, it's always yucky, but now it is even more yucky than usual.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Cheryl -- what a cutie!! Heidi surely produces great looking 'kids'.

Cleo has not showed up tonight... when i talked to DH about an hour ago [he saw a radar ] he said storms are heading my way.... 'reds' on the radar.... so maybe the critters sense that.

But the usual 'scoop' is in the squirrel feeder, a half scoop by the back door along with a big bowl of fresh water.

an aside... we are in a very quiet area... and for some reason, the military helicopters have been very 'noisy' tonight... they sound extremely 'low'. I believe there is an air national guard down in Madison, WI. we usually hear the F14/F16 [not sure which ones they are] but for them to be this late at night is odd.

anyhooo -- i expect both containers will be cleaned out by morning... we shall see. I do believe i have two visitors as someone had already guessed.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is the Husky. I tried and tried but could never get a good 'face-on' picture of him, the look that says Husky. I would push the button when I saw that look, but he would drop his head to eat before the shutter closed. Argh! Something about him, and it's definitely not the color, reminds me of HRH. I think it's the loose skin and maybe the way he moves.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Terese,

I have noticed that Heidi knows when a storm is coming even before I can see any sign of it. She will never, ever come to dinner when there is an electrical storm on the way. Rain doesn't bother her. She will stand in the rain and eat if necessary - although she prefers to have her food under the chair if it's pouring. Moderate wind is ok, too, but if the wind is scary high, she won't show up then either. Some of the youngsters may show up regardless. They don't seem to know any better.

There is an air force base adjacent to Charleston Int Airport which is not so terribly far from here by air. Sometimes military planes come overhead. When I see a lot of that activity, like you I wonder what is going on. After 9/11 when we were dropping food and notes on Afghanistan, I saw a large number of those large planes, the type that carry stuff, going over head. Later I learned that many of the planes that took 'aid' over there left from Charleston. Other times when I've seen a lot of activity, esp at night, I've later learned that there was some kind of military training exercise off the coast of Charleston. Anyhow, I can totally relate to what you are saying, how these things make us wonder what is going on. Sometimes it is something; other times it's just training.

I do think you have 2 (or more) because that 2nd one looked like a yearling whereas the 1st one looked like an adult.

About that cherry the other night, I put foods into a couple of categories: (1) universal foods, loved by virtually all raccoons, (2) foods loved by many raccoons but turned down by others, (3) food some raccoons love but most turn down, an (4) foods most raccoons will eat if they are hungry enough. The 1st category, the universally loved foods, is small, limited to dry cat/dog food and maybe peanuts and grapes. No raccoon has ever turned down cat/dog food in my yard and it is rare for one to turn down peanuts or grapes. Most of the foods I list as favorites, foods like eggs, marshmallows, watermelon, cookies, jelly, frosting, etc fall into category 2. Most love them, but some will turn their noses up. For instance, while Heidi loves watermelon and most of the yearlings drool at the thought of getting a bite, Dennis has no use for the stuff. Cherries from what I've seen fall somewhere between Cat 2 & 3. About half of the raccoons out there like them. Heidi rarely eats them. Dennis will sometimes eat them. They are not super duper high on the 'likes' list. Also, I have noticed, particularly with the females this time of year that when pregnant and nursing they may refuse some foods that they enjoy in late summer and winter. As much as Heidi loves watermelon and grapes, while pregnant she would not touch either of them. She seemed to need all of the space in her stomach for protein.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

husky again, but I reiterate that none of these shots show him in his 'husky' pose. He flatly refused to do that pose for the camera. When he looks straight up at you, like he isn't doing in any of these pics, all that white on his face and ears along with the contrasting darks and the way the black streak runs down his nose and up his forehead just give him such a perfect Husky face. Also, when he looks straight at you the loose skin on his forehead 'wrinkles' right down the center where the dark streak is; this also seems to accentuate the Husky look

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

here he is. in this shot he doesn't look at all huski-esque. here he reminds me very much of dear old dad, HRH, again, not in color but in form. In fact, I'm pretty sure we have a pic of HRH somewhere eating marshmallows and looking just like this.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

In that last pic of Heidi with the yearling, if you look close, she is actually holding her head to the opposite side of the melon as if to allow the youngster better access.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Susan!

Glad to see we didn't loose you on this move. : )
Did the bold and the 'the end' pic help? or just a coincidence?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Boy, you sur e cn asee why ya named Husky, Husky and th e resemblanc e HRH is there for sure. Have you figure d out yet if husky a boy or a girl?

I look at th eabove pic of the yearling and says that Dot. Cuz of the one black dot in the white mask.

This may soudn dumb, but I knwo Heidi has a bunch of kits, but wonder if any of them could be twins. Can she has a litter and two of them be twins of that bunch or is there no such thing.

Thanks for the pics, perfect way to end my evening. : ) Hope yoru sleeping painfree.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl -- re: cherries... Cleo did not eat them. I found the one chewed up and spit out. the second visitor that comes later - ate them all, even the chewed one.

no one came last night.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

With Cherries, I have also found that while some appear to swallow the pit, others will chew the cherry to get the flavor and spit out pit w/some cherry. At 1st I thought the 'spitters' didn't like the cherries, but I noticed they wanted another one and another one. It's amusing to watch because they chew them and eject the pit from one side of their mouth such that they remind me of some of those 'country folk' (seen on tv) who can do something like that with fish and bones.

Perhaps, once they skipped your area due to storm or perhaps air activity and resulting noise, they found adequate food elsewhere, and their path just didn't bring them back your way. I figure they probably have a routine of sorts, as apposed to just wandering about. You know, 1st I stop by Terese's house, then I raid the trash can down on 5th Street, look for fish at the corner retaining pond...

I'm sure she will be back...again...and again...

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm sure that you are right about them having a schedule. My small family group is always here on Tuesday and Friday. They haven't missed a Tuesday night for at least a year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

In the past I sometimes noticed that if I went out really late such that they had all given up on me and gone elsewhere, they would eventually make there way back by here and usually at very predictable intervals like midnight and then again in the very early AM shortly before sunrise. These days, however, many of the will, unfortunately sit out there until 2AM or after waiting for me if I fail to show up. I would prefer they go on about their business if I don't make it by 10 or so.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Cheryl.. You need to make sayign , " Buffet close d tonight , try again tommorrow evening at 8 pm " snicker. snicker. hehehehe

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLOL, starlight!

I guess I need to make a sign to hang on the back door knob when needed.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I bet that if you DID make a sign and hang it on the back door when you were not going to be out , that they would quickly learn what the sign meant. Hey, might be worth a try!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG! I hadn't even considered that - except as a joke, but as smart as they are, I think you are right! Last year I started turning all of the outside lights on when I'm ready to gather my things, scoop up the food, etc. Now they know when the lights come on it means I'm getting ready to come out and feed them. Just the other night I turned the light on and didn't see any of them on or around the patio. Then as I was opening the door to go out, I saw Dennis coming up the path heading for the patio. She had apparently been back at the edge of the forest and had seen the lights go on, so she came to 'get' me.

Actually, I don't really need a [human readable] sign per se. I just need to adopt some kind of convention to mean "Sorry, we are closed tonight" and use it reliably.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Is that kind of like when the guys in college would hang a necktie on their doorknob, to let their roommate know not to come in and disturb them? Those raccoons are so perceptive, I bet they would start to learn the visual cue before long!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yep, kinda like the college thing, and I do think they would figure it out. I think it would be a great way to let them know when to stick around waiting and when to give up and go elsewhere. I'm definitely going to do this. Now I just have to decide on a 'sign'.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Since the visitors did not come the other night due to the rain [which we did not get much of] i put out the dish last night, and even added an egg -- and did we get storms last night... lots of lightening and heavy rains.... I think it ended around midnight .... this morning, i see the egg shell on the back walk, and the seed bucket has been moved, tipped over but not cleaned out... though the squirrel feeder is empty. So it's possible that only Cleo, or the other one [if i do have 2] came and just ate their fill, but snacked the egg... which i was glad to see.

Lyndonville, NY

Cheryl, I think the "light" training is the best bet. The light is on, the buffet is being prepared. No light, no buffet.

You might want to have a chat with Heidi, I really think it is time to bring those babies out! LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Based on my experiences to date, I would have been most surprised if that egg was left come morning. My group will snatch up an egg in a heartbeat. On my last shopping excursion, just over a week ago, I bought the large 2.5dz pack hoping to have enough for an occasional omelet - but the eggs are already gone.

Heidi can take care of herself now, but when she 1st came back from having her babies (and really was off her game), whenever Ursula or one of the others came too close when she had an egg she was saving for an after dinner treat, Heidi would actually reach over to the egg and pull it up under her body so the other raccoon would not be able to steal it and run away with it. I've seen them grab an egg and run on their 2 hind legs while carrying the egg. That is so funny to watch. They look like Peter Cottontail w/o the floppy ears.

Do you ever eat watermelon? If you do, you should put the rind out for Cleo. Watermelon is a big hit with Southern raccoons. How about cookies? My bunch has never met a cookie they didn't love.

Last night I was feeding spiced oatmeal cookies to Dennis while Heidi was pigging out on her watermelon (she eats one almost every night and never seems to tire of it.). All of a sudden, without moving away from the melon (because that kit was trying to steal it anyhow), Heidi reached her little hands up toward me to say, "please give me a cookie", reaching all the way over the melon. (She was directly in front of me. The melon was so close there was just barely room for Dennis between my feet and the melon. Heidi was sitting 'at' the melon - like at table - and facing me and Dennis.) Anyhow, I handed the next cookie to Heidi and she dunked it in the watermelon juice, took a bite, dunked it again, etc. She ate about 3 cookies, dunking all of them in watermelon. She may have invented a new haute cuisine party favor or restaurant dessert.

Lyndonville, NY

Cheryl, the visual image of Heidi and the cookie dunking gave me the biggest giggle. And we thought oreos and milk was the way to go! LOL

I was wondering if she would pass off a cookie to the kit to say...here take this and get out of my melon!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG, Debbie,

I completely forgot to mention it. Last night, and well into the evening, after about an hour maybe, I heard a little squeak that didn't sound right for any of the usual guests. Heidi even pulled her head out of the melon to look over at Dennis. Then I heard the sound again. I sounded an awful lot like a baby something, but I couldn't determine where the sound was coming from.

Then I noticed Dennis start to act odd - ok, more so than normal. She was walking all around. She left the spot she had been in on one side of the buffet to go over to the other side where the brush are is located. She disappeared into the brush, came out, went back in, repeat, repeat.

All of a sudden I started hearing that trilling sound, very distinct and very loud. Dennis went back through the hole in the brush. I could not determine where the trilling sound was coming from. Sometimes it seemed to be coming from a certain area up on the fence (or in the trees there). Other times I could swear it was coming from the brush area just beyond where I had seen Dennis coming and going and acting strange (-r than normal). I kept expecting to see a tiny kit, too young to be out and about, come out of the brush behind Dennis any minute.

Finally and apparently in response to the loud and insistent trilling, Dennis climbed the fence - in the exact area where the sound sometimes seemed to originate - and left. The trilling sound stopped instantly. I could not see if any kits climbed the fence with her because of vegetation obscuring the area.

Incidentally, I now know why Dennis is in such a snippety mood lately. The past few nights she sits down every other minute to lick at her mammaries which, as I saw with the flashlight, are exceedingly swollen, red, and painful even to look at. I took this to mean that she is probably either not feeding the babies enough or is weaning them too early - again. And now it appears she is bringing them to dinner with her even ahead of Heidi (who had her babies weeks earlier). I guess she hasn't improved all that much yet, after all.

I believe this is a sign of things to come. I predict the buffet will soon be filled with the sights and sounds of baby raccoons everywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.