What Canna do I have here?

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Last fall I got Canna crazy and bought lots of different varieties. Unfortunately I didn't keep the labels and now forgot what I bought. Here is the first one that I can't figure out. It seems to be dwarf, appr. 2-3 feet tall.

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

an other picture

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I believe it's 'Rosemond Cole'. As the flower matures, the yellow should streak into the red more if it is that.
If you send a photo of the full flower when open, that would be good :-)

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Here is the flower more open.

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

No sorry, that was the same pic like the first one. Didn't get any other pic, before it faded away.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Your canna appears to be badly virused.IMO I would not propagate from it.cheers

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Badly virused? do you mean these little brown spots on the edge? I transplanted them in 100 degrees a day before I made the pics, and that's why they suffered a bit. They certainly don't have a virus. I have seen those with virus, not to compare to this one.

Still didn't figure out, what Canna it is. It is not Rosemond Cole, as it's a dwarf one. Rosemond Cole is medium height. Nobody here who could give me a clue? There is a second bloom opening shortly, I'll try to get a better pic this time.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

It looks like the pictures of 'Miss Oklahoma'. What do you think?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Unfortunately, there's every chance this isn't a named cultivar, but a seedling that came up in the canna fields of the grower and was sold as whatever was growing there, it's parent. I don't recognize it but that isn't saying much :(

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Miss Oklahoma is more pink and taller, this one is more red and dwarf. I believe Azreno is right, I looked the internet up and down and couldn't find one that looks like it and is dwarf. I may give it a name, if it doesn't have one. How about 'Tropical sunset'? It could be a hybrid of Tropical yellow and Tropical red. The flower shape is the same and the leaves look alike too.
Here's a tropical pink in the pic.

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That name is taken unfortunately, I don't think it's in PF yet, but does exist. Maybe Alice will peak back in and post a pic for us :o)

I have seen and had first hand experience with canna virus and I can tell you that canna is not at all healthy ,even as you say: Quote' I transplanted them in 100 degrees a day before I made the pics, and that's why they suffered a bit. They certainly don't have a virus. I have seen those with virus, not to compare to this one.:'Unquote.

In my experience that is exactly how they exhibit symptoms...I am not meaning to offend you in anyway ...just telling it as I see it.

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Brical1, I am not offended in any way, but since I divide my Cannas and transplant them all the time, I know that they all suffer after transplanting and get brown spots. Those Cannas have been very healthy before transplanting and also recreate shortly after transplanting. Not sure, why you think they have a virus.Here is a new pic of the same Canna, it got a new bloom, but it's not fully open yet.
Now, do you still think, it has a virus?
Many of the Cannas get a bit brown,when it's dry and hot, when they get watered every day or when it rains, they look perfectly. I have seen Cannas with virus, they look sick from bottom to top and don't recreate.

Thumbnail by Turtlegaby
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It's the deterioration within the veining of the leaf, that's caused by a virus, your second pic shows it best. Canna are reknown for displaying signs of virus during stress, then appearing healthy again during better conditions, but they do still carry the virus as it is not something that's curable.

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Hmmm, not sure, what to say, but it appears to be healthy now and I don't want to throw something away that is beautiful. I have appr. 3000 Cannas in my yard - and none of them look ugly or sick, except sometimes when I transplant them. Mostly I cut the leaves and stems off after transplanting and they regrow in old beauty. If they looked badly infected, I probably would throw them away easily, but not as long as they look good.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A common school of thought today is that nearly every canna is actually affected by a virus to some degree. I don't throw my virused canna away. In fact, there's every chance I might get virus free seedlings from them.

Turtlegaby,in answer to your question :' Now, do you still think, it has a virus'?Unquote., the short answer is Yes. Canna plants with virus can/ are still able to produce nice flowers some may show white streaking but not all...If you are happy with the look of your plant and believe it is not virused then so be it.

Azreno,many cannas are infected with virus, but having said that there are still many out there that aren't.Many collectors & growers(not all) do their utmost to keep their stock virus free and will quickly destroy any which prove not to be so.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 10:00 PM

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Brisbal, do you have any variegated Cannas?

If so, then you probably also have virused Cannas.

This is what I have read in the meantime about Cannas and viruses:

The virus streaks or splotches the leaves, almost like they're variegated when they shouldn't be. The virus normally doesn't kill or harm the plant here in the south. (notice, I live in the South) As it gets hot and the plants grow, the virus may go dormant and the plant will be fine. The virus won't be gone though, but the symptoms of it will disappear with the heat. Some cannas with the virus and the leaves are just beautiful. In some species, a virus is even introduced to get the variegation we crave in our plants.

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

sorry about the typo, I meant brical

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

My conclusion is, that obviously Cannas that are grown in colder climates as annuals, become infected with a virus, since those viruses that can't thrive in hot weather.
Maybe something to think about for growers in the North to rather stick with indigenous plants. I truly believe, because everybody wants to grow everything nowadays, and in the age of internet, where everyone can send to everywhere, that this might be the cause of all diseases in tropical plants.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, I know well of the destruction of infected canna. Certainly commercial growers should seek to maintain a 'virus free' collection but the fact is there are canna out there that only exist with infection and if you want them or wish to produce hybrids from them, you have little choice but to grow the virused plant.

Knowing the widespread of viruses that do infect canna, the focus of hybridizers should be to produce 'virus resistant' canna as opposed to 'virus free', as a 'virus free' canna that is not 'virus resistant' may only remain so until it gets to another garden thru sale or share or trade. A hybridizer who is maintaining a 'virus free' collection can have no idea of the effects of virus on any of their seedlings and will only know if their plants are exposed to viruses.

I know Brian Williams has been working toward this end in crossing hybrids back to species, hoping to produce more 'virus resistant' hybrids. Myself, I have some very nice seedlings that are completely resistant to virus, they're going to make nice parents for future offspring, I generally destroy virused seedlings unless they have some hugely redeeming quality, and then they are only kept in hopes of producing better offspring that are virus resistant. If my canna were virus free I would have no way of knowing which seedlings to keep in that regard.

Turtlegaby again in answer to your question Quote 'Brisbal, do you have any variegated Cannas?If so,then you probably also have virused Cannas.' Unquote .Yes I do have many variegated cannas and believe it or not ...not one of them carries/spreads virus ...only if they had been contaminated with a virus would that be a problem.I have never known the cause of chimera in cannas to be from a virus but if that proves to be the case then I apologize.

azreno,I for one would like to have virus resistant canna...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.