Do cows eat irises?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

This might seem like a funny question, but I once planted daylilies and raspberries along the back fence of my garden that borders the cow pasture, and to my dismay they chomped away at them. I would like to put iris there but maybe shouldn't risk it. I think I will plant some of my ubiquitous grape koolaids this year, and see if they are alluring to the cows next spring.

Lebanon, OR

Well I know they will eat foliage and stalks

D

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Yes, cattle will eat just about anything. The free ranging cattle even ate our Foxglove one year, THEN we put up an electric fence.

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

I have iris along the garden in our field and nothing seems to boother them. Also in the field are donkeys and goats.

The iris sibrian...maybe they taste diffrent than the tall bearded?

Now the cows have made a mess with the daylilies and the goats love the hosta's! It was an adventure in the spring until we finally rebuilt the fence.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes, they will eat them, also if you have an inspector, mine told me NO cows with iris, I need to ask her this year why? Especially since they would be away from them.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Do you live on a dairy farm also?

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

If you are asking me, no.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I was just wondering, because you said your inspector told you no cows with irises...what kind of inspector do you have?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.