What grows well in SC?

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi,
I know daylilies & iris do well in SC. What else? Amaryllis, agapanthas? Daffodils? Peonies? Hosta?

I'll be in the Columbia area.

thanks,
leslie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. You'd probably be better off asking what doesn't grow well in SC .. much shorter list.

X

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

X is right on target.

Did you get to the Botanical Gardens at Riverbanks? You can get the whole big picture in a few hours. LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I checked out your Journal to see what you already have that would be hardy here that I know of and I actually grow some of these myself:

Amaryllis, Caladium, (Ardesia says they can stay in the ground in winter as long as their feet are dry), daylily, blueberry, lantana, roses, viburnum, plumbago, loropetalum, curcuma, hedychium, dicentra, houttuynia.

X

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! My journal is so out of date I don't even have some of those anymore but I appreciate your checking. I took DS to the State Museum today and thought we might do the Botanical/Zoo tomorrow. With lots of pictures I can plan out the garden. I'm not good at that but I hope the pics will help.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I wish alpina's were hardy .. but they bloom on old growth so they'd never bloom here since they die back in winter and get too big to keep in the greenhouse.

I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale so when I moved to areas that actually had winters it was kind of nice having a few months off of gardening .. gives me time to plan for the next year. You can actually "push" zones with some plants if they are in protected areas or you mulch them really well .. it's worth a try for some of them.

X

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

My caladiums did not last the winter here. My elephant ears came back pretty well. Periennials of every type seen to grow well for me.

I am visiting Charleston with DH, and using his laptop...I hate laptops. LOL

I miss my garden.....the Westbournes are starting to open! :-(

Ninety Six, SC

I grow all of the ones you mentioned. Peonys do better with afternoon shade and amaryllis overwinter in the ground. Hosta are great, of course in shade and daffodils are beautiful in the spring. I haven't had much luck with agapanthus but I have seen some beautiful ones that others are growing. Echinacea does great here, sedum, Lilys,and shasta daisy also. Dahlia's overwinter here for me and I am about 60 miles south of Columbia. Some annuals overwinter for me.

I meant North of Columbia :)

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 11:14 AM

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Now that you mention it, my agapanthus have not done well either. They were great for the first 2 years, and then nothing....although I do have leaves, no flowers.

My hostas are doing quite well, and I may have to divide some soon.

I am in Charleston right now, and there are hibiscus everywhere! The Walmart that is not too far from the hotel has these big beautiful wine colored mandevillas for only $10. Two are coming home with me! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.