New Organic Pest Repellant Being Tested

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

FYI, I am testing a new organic pest repellant in the Garden starting this weekend. Results will be posted on a couple of threads at DG, including this one.

Main objective: MOSQUITO

When I heard about this product last weekend we were swatting at mosquitos at a small gathering on my deck in the garden. It received high marks from my friend, so I am going to test it and see if it's worth our time.

Blog in the Houston Chronicle to publish tomorrow

"Blood Wars!"
http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=rjudd&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=rjudd&plckPostId=Blog%3arjuddPost%3a61528ec3-cc78-4a6a-822c-7b2f5e03edc7&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Is that the article on using Listerine to repel mosquitos?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No it's one on NatureShield..using garlic oil, castor oil and a couple other.

Go to www.snopes.com and check on listerine...

Thanks, I had already done the snopes search. I am glad someone is researching something less chemical than DEET. I know it is supposed to be relatively "safe", but it still makes me itch.

Some of those wannabe mosquito moms are huge this year and I am so tired of feeding them. I know garlic works to help deter them but you can only eat just so much before everyone knows you are Gaijin (Japanese term meaning the garlic eaters) and not just Cajun.

Grin, Jean

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I wish we could introduce something that makes them sterile!

Thus far, Bt is my weapon of choice for all the water holders around the garden. It doesn't sterilize, but it sure does kill the wigglers. Problem is, it also seems to wreak havoc with the lightning bugs. I let the fish take care of wigglers in the pond in hopes that a few lightning bugs will survive.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The lightning bugs like the water? I know the glow worms (larvae) feed on earth worms.
What is Bt?
So far my favorite is seaweed extract. It's a miracle pest preventative. My jungle garden should be chocked full of scales and ickies..but it is wonderful at keeping pest and diseases down. I asked the folks if I could mix some seaweed extract with the Nature Shield, they said there shouldn't be a problem..so I am going to try it on surfaces.

Bt is bacteria thurigensis. It comes in three forms. Solid round "tablets" sold as "dunks" for use in bird baths, ponds or any standing, contained water; powder that can be used to dust plants; and liquid that can be mixed in a sprayer to spray plants.

The really good thing about Bt is that it is aimed solely at worms: mosquito larva, caterpillars or any other worm-like pest. It works really well, is fairly inexpensive and is usually available at any garden center that carries insect control products. I know you can find it at Home Depot and Lowe's.

It is safe for use in ornamental ponds as it will not harm your fish. I discovered after using it for awhile in my bird baths that my cats were drinking from them. My vet said it was not harmful to them at all. It does not kill bugs so the beneficials are safe, but it does a serious number on tomato horn worms, redheaded azalea caterpillars and those tiny green "inch worms" that seem to eat most anything.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh right..I've used the dunks and the granules...I like the dunks better..granules seem to foul water or small bodies of water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.