Late bloomers

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

Can anyone reccomend some late bloomers, I want to extend my bloom period. They just come and go too fast!
Thanks,
Karen

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

here last bloom of the season belonged to Mary Randall, Midnight Oil, and Majesty. The last one to open it's first bloom was Midnight Oil.

I've heard Towering Finale, Lavender Interlude and Fashionably Late are supposed to be very late bloomers, but my TF hasn't bloomed in a few years and FL/LI are just squeezing into the late category, never the Very Late category.

I'd like to hear more about VVL bloomers too!

Roni

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

For me, shade has everything to do with how late things bloom. If they are in full sun, mine tend to bloom early. If they are in a somewhat shaded location they bloom late. So you might try an iris bed in mixed sun and shade. If it gets to shady they don't bloom at all and don't grow very well either, but a mixture of sun and shade will delay bloom. This is something I learned from experience and haven't read anywhere, but it sure works that way for me.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Bummer, the only "shade" in my iris garden is caused by an American Red Bud Tree -- it's feed roots keep the irises stunted and when you combine that with borer pests, earwigs, and spring rains (and the rot that follows) -- it's a night mare.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My shade comes from very tall Ponderosa Pines with tap roots and from the house itself. We don't have borers here, but we do have earwigs which I keep at bay by not allowing leaves to pile up in the area. Our spring rains are practically non-existent. We have spring wind and spring snow. The overall effect is very dry soil in the spring. Maybe it just won't work for you to grow them in shade.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Yep, that's why that area is quickly being filled in with a new favorite collectible, Heuchera.

Roni

I still would like to know what people's latest blooms are like Karen.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

This year, historical Shah Jehan, Sugar Blues and Superstition were my late bloomers. Superstition has just put out another flower this week. Shah Jehan and Sugar Blues finished up last week.

Linda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have many iris still in bloom. It is dark so I can't give you a complete inventory, but I still have All Night Long, Florentine Silk,l Parisian Dawn, Wintry Sky, Sea Power, Aardvark Lark, Eau Vivre, Lark Ascending and quite a few others in bloom. I still have several that haven't opened yet -- Salt and Pepper, Witching, Bliss Bomb and Persian Berry, that I can remember. Our season is late here due to high altitude, 7, 300 ft. It has been a lovely bloom season and will soon end, but I am enjoying every minute.

South Hamilton, MA

Foreign Storm is near black & it seems to bloom later & has a long bloom season.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Don't know Foreign Storm but will have to look it up. I want lots of the very early and the very late -- to extend the season as much as possible.

South Hamilton, MA

hybridized by Sterling Innerst. I think Superstition might have it. What is 'late' here might not be for you, but has a very smooth finish.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Looked it up in Plant Files:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/238763/

That one is a knock out!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Haut Les Voiles was the last one to bloom for me here in zone 6b. Held on a good amount of time too, even with the rash of crazy thunderstorms we have been getting. It's done now, and I really wish it weren't.

South Hamilton, MA

Add beardless to the end of your iris bloom and/or early types in front. Grow annuals in between times.

Gainesville, TX

On my patch of ground in far south central Oklahoma, my iris started blooming April 11th before a late freeze after the freeze they resumed blooming and bloomed thru May 15 the latest to bloom were

wearing rubies
vienna waltz
sea power
bragadaccio
dizzie miss lizzie
wabash
deliberately different
dusky challenger
classic look
agatine

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Blooming May 29 in my zone 6a gardens were the following:
Beverly Sills
Caliente
Col. Candelot
Dauntless
Dusky Challenger
Edna’s Wish
Fresno Frolic
Helen Collingwood
Iris pallida
Latin Lover
Luxor Gold
Natchez Trace
Ola Kala
Pass the Wine
Rapture in Blue
Rhein Nixe
Rose Princess
Savannah Sunset
Stellar Lights
Supreme Sultan
Sunshine and Snow
Victoria Falls
Wabash
None were blooming when I returned home June 2.
Also, see my post Last Hurrah - Final Blooms for the Season about 6 or 7 or 8 pages back.
Sally

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

last to bloom here was Last Hurrah.

first rebloom here from summer olympics today.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

here's a picture

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN
Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow, it's going to take me awhile to look these up. I'm really getting hooked!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Karen

Cherryvale, KS

In bloom 5-28 Act Of Kindness

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Chocolate Moose

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Conjuring Cat

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Corona Star

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Gitano

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Jazz Band

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Starlight Sonata Have more, but this gives you an idea.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! You have a lot of late bloomers Nicky! I love that Conjuring Cat. Also Gitano. Well actually all of them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.