Roots - How long do they get?

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I just dug into the drain line along side our garage - the black plastic, flexible, type - about 12-13 inches down. We had grates put into the concrete pad in front of our garage and and drain put down along one side and back through the lawn to a main drain to accept run-off from our driveway.

My husband is ill and I decided to try to dig the hole and dug into the hose - actually nicked a few holes in it - thought I was hitting a rock. Geez, I'm probably in deep duddy. Anyway, is it a really bad idea to plant over top of this - do the roots of clematis go that deep? Please, any help appreciated.

Dathen

Appleton, WI

I recently dug up a clematis Arabella that was in the ground for 2 full seasons. There were a few roots that were at least 15 inches long, maybe 18 inches.

I don't know if it's bad or not to plant on top the hose.

Delaware, OH

dathen what kind of clem, how big now? i have planted plenty in hole only a foot deep in the past, but never do now, i am at about 18 and do not do all the things i used to do!
so it will probably do ok at a foot. however, can you come forward a bit to the front of the pipe, which might be prudent anyway for drainage, moisture, etc for the roots.

Delaware, OH

if you plant in that spot at 12 inches deep, the roots will accomodate and go to each side or one side of the hose when they get that long.
but coming forward a bit, like 5 inches so you can get a full 15 inches of hole depth might be better.

JuliaJayne and Guru - My main concern was that the roots would go into the top of the drain thru the holes that I made and clog the drain in a few years. Knowing that they grow longer than 12 inches makes me inclined to repair the hose somehow and fill the hole. The soil in that garden is excellent, so the roots could probably work their way around the hose if not for the holes.

Guess I find another place. Thanks so much for your help.

Appleton, WI

You should repair the holes anyway because the soil will get in there and clog it up.

My husband woke up and I confessed what I had done - he asked if I had cut a hole and I admitted 3 holes. He said that he could fix it.

Delaware, OH

thats good dathen!

what clem are you planting?

I was going to plant the Madame Baron Veillard that I bought last week. We've been spending time in the ER and the doctor's office and it's still in it's pot. I don't have a lot of real good sunny places to put her.

Delaware, OH

won't hurt it to stay in the pot for while anyway as long as it is watered. i usualy tell folks to top up the soil level in the pot with some compost or such if you are leaving it in the pot, and keep it well watered. maybe better to leave in pot than rush for the site i fyou can not decide. maybe to the side of a shrub? or side and just behind?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.