Is this Miss Bateman?

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Hi all! The more I look at photos of each of my clems, the more I wonder if I even know what they are. I've had several that were definitely mis-labeled and now am questioning the true identity of all of them. This was labeled Miss Bateman, but the sepals look more pointed than in the photos of Miss Bateman I've seen. Thanks in advance, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Thumbnail by MTnic
Delaware, OH

it looks more like a snow queen to me, but i would go on cotw if i were you and look at all the whites. there is miss bates and miss bateman.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It looks like Clematis "Claire de Lune" to me...Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=91

Delaware, OH

blooming too late to be clair de lune?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

looks like my Snow Queen

Kristy

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Delaware, OH

claire de lune has a wavier margin and more pastel coloration. this one is from my garden in early may.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I looked through the whites on Clematis on the web, I'm going to have to go with Snow Queen I guess. It resembles Snow Queen more than the others although not entirely. It isn't blooming much now- just a few small ones on the bottom. It does have new big buds on top though, so I'm not sure if it is done or not. I didn't plant it until last fall so I am impressed with it thus far- we had a long cold winter, but the snow must have really helped as I had several zone 6 plants make it.

Delaware, OH

it is def snow queen in habit too. claire would have already bloomed, it comes out very early, most of the blooms all at once, snow queen tend to bloom low and high and not all at once. the blooms should get bigger as more open and it is not hugely floriferous at this stage. but the blooms are nice. very nice.

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

There is now only one bloom left- it is much smaller than the others were and it is right at the bottom. The other buds that are yet to open (only a couple) are right at the top. The bottom ones did bloom at once- that picture was taken May 27. When most of them were blooming, they ended up with large brown spots all over them. I attributed that to them not liking my homemade deer repellant (my deer eat anything- including clematis) as they developed the spots the day after I sprayed them for the first time. I HOPE that is what it was anyway.

Delaware, OH

brown spots can be from products used or too much water from heavy rain or gardeners....

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

That is good to hear- I'm fairly certain it just wasn't a fan of my deer repellant- neither are the deer so far this summer.... knock on wood. Last year I'd lost every rose by this time as well as a majority of my other plants- and I live in the middle of the largest city in Montana. Ridiculous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.