scales on lime tree

Germantown, TN

what is the best way to kill the scales on my lime tree? It is on the new growth and gives me the
"heebie-jeebies"

It was outside last summer, overwintered in the house(got 5-6 limes), put back out on deck this spring.

Any suggestions? Please give me specific product names, as generic names mean nothing.

Thanks

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

So .... are you going to eat the limes?

Al

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Strike that please. I forgot what forum I was on for a sec. The BEST way is subjective and may not be the answer you're looking for. The first line of defense would be hand-picking. You can also use neem oil, but if you opt for the neem, use only cold-pressed or virgin neem oil (such as that made by Dyna-Gro). Steam and solvent extraction methods of many other neem oil products destroy the azadirachtin, which is the key to its usefulness as a natural insecticide.

Al

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

just a side thought, you can also use any generic cooking spray (like pam) but be aware that because we are now experiencing hotter weather, the oil will likely burn leaves, so try and keep it on the bark (which is where i assume the scale is).

Germantown, TN

Thanks for your input!

And, yes, we ate the limes!

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I get scale every winter on my container lemon tree. But I find the problem goes away once I put it back outside for the summer. Of course then I get them again the next winter, so I guess it doesn't go away, but the tree looks much healthier in the summer and I don't see any scale.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Lotsa predators outdoors looking for a tasty meal of scale ..... and when your tree is outdoors it is growing with better vitality. The faster metabolism means the tree is producing more of the bio-compounds that act as antifeedants and other chemical protectors that are by-products of that increased metabolism. IOW - the tree is stronger outdoors and better equipped for self defense.

Al

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Has the potting medium been tested, for PH and adjusted, to suggested levels, by your testing firm or institution, for citrus plants?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.