Need help ID'ing!!!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

I need help identifying this dahlia. It came in a grab bag without a name. It's about 5' tall-very prolific bloomer. I have seen some that looked similar to this, but not exact. Any help is appreciated!

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Can't really help with names, queenqueg_1, but if you care to share I'll
trade?!?! I have one I'm trying to find the name of too.

Mine is about 14 inches tall...blooms are 2 1/2 inches across and it is very very pretty!!

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

Yes, yours is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I only have the one, and that's the one you see in the picture. I will be happy to divide for you, once "winter" comes, though.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

trade this winter?? *S* I have two plants of this flowering type...and then I have another ((see pix)) I will share as long as I know how to divide them properly.

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

HAHA! I need help dividin, too! I have read a million things about it, but am too scared to try!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I need to buy a fork to dig instead of my shovels..I know they will damage the bulbs and tubers.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The best way to learn how to divide is to dive in headfirst and learn from your mistakes. It can be really l;intimidating given the wide variety and growth habits of a tuber clump. Some I've just stared at like a rotating globe, over and over, round and round with nary an idea where to start. But once you do it, you see how it works or doesn't work, and off you go. And some will always confound to keep us guessing.

Dirty, (may I call you dirty ?) LOL I use both a fork and a transplant shovel- they both have pros and cons. A shovel is good for severing long end roots and assuring you have a good chance of lifting the whole clump without much breakage, but a fork is easier, lighter weight, and will let some of the soil (heavy out here in November/December) pass through the clump as it's lifted. But necks can break in that process too, so it's a toss up.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Gotcha... I usually use my shovel to basically "dig" the plant out, making sorta a "moat" around the plant to give more of a visual of the roots... was told the fork would be better at this point so as not to damage anything afterwards.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.