Garden Pics: 'How Does Your Garden Grow?' ...#8

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

mom and finished getting it to the point that there is water in it...

Still a lot of work to be done....but not a bad days work.

Wishing all a good night...I am tired and calling it a night.

Thumbnail by zhinusmom
(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Looking good, Trisha! You got a lot done in one day!

You guys are killing me with all the ponds... I want one so bad. hehe. Maybe next year...

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Trishia..... it looks good. They did a really good job digging.

Pony.... If it would help.... I know lots of folks, with lots of stories of why the wish they hadn't put in their ponds. Which hopefully will not be the case with anyones here! But, I've seen enough of the headaches/backaches (including my own from trying to help) that I've forever sworn off water features in my yard. Unless of course, I should ever be in the position where I could easily afford to pay someone else to deal with it every time it had an issue! Which is never likely to happen for me! lol

Yeah, I've heard some real horror stories too. My sister has a ginormous pond and waterfall with lots of very big koi, and she's always telling me what a pain it is. I just want a tiny pond with a fountain or waterfall, no fish.

Here's my sister's pond at night:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Wow! That's beautiful. Looks more like a pool! I still think that I'll stick to just "oogling" over others though. Boy when that one has a leak, that'd be a major project to fix it!

hehehe... I told her she should have made it deeper so they could go swimming. But she just wanted it for her babies. (the koi) Her hubby built it for her, he buys houses, remodels them and sells them, and wow, does he do gorgeous stuff. I'm trying to figure out how I can talk him into coming up from L.A. to work some magic on our place. ;)

Definitely! Swimming would be so much more functional too! I think that he should come up and work magic at your place. Why should just one person in the family get to have something like that! What a great design he had for that one.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Bea, Your garden is sensational! I bet you have tons of people that drive by just to take a look! We have very similar taste in roses...I have been enjoying yours as a nice "preview" before mine are actually in bloom.

Trisha, What a big project for a weekend, but it looks great! One step at a time...I can see you have your work cut out for you with the red rock lawn, but I imagine it will be wonderful when you are done.

RC, That is an awesome pic! We had real rain yesterday that looked just like that.

Pony, Wow, you sister's pond is AWESOME!. I agree with RC though, nice ones are a lot of work...more than I would be interested in putting in with all of the other yardwork that is always hanging over my head. Mine are both natural in an attempt to control the ground water from underground springs that are everywhere when the water table is high. They aren't quite as wonderful in the summer when the water level drops and you see the muddy edges, but are much lower maintenance than something that you have to clean on a regular basis.

This was the first time that I actually got to see my oriental poppy "Flamingo" bloom, and was really glad that I took pictures yesterday morning as the thunderstorms yesterday afternoon destroyed them.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And then the picture taking came to an end as I got trapped in Mom's shop by a wild thunderstorm that snuck up when I was doing some work in her garden for her.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Thanks RJ. Hopefully the thunderstorm was a good one! We had rain yesterday, but not any thunderstorms. that Poppy is such a pretty coral type of color. I love it.

Julie, wasn't that storm something? I was sitting on the porch working on a mosaic, it was sunny and warm, then that wind hit and I heard thunder booming. Yikes. Had to scramble to get all my stuff inside quick. hehe.

I'm off to Hood Canal for a couple of days- y'all be good! ;)

One photo for the road- hehe. A bumbler enjoying my lupine:

Thumbnail by the1pony
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

RC - Echinacea with the Spiderwort - absolutely. I think those colors provide a nice contrast.

Trisha - Sage is so cute I could just "squoosh her up" (as my friend used to say). Nice pond.

Pony - very nice work on the garden beds!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

WOW what great Pics all, I have been so far behind but getting kinda back to speed. LOL

Welcome to all the new comers that I have not seen before, Hi I'm Tillysrat (Mary).^_^

Love all the pics, You all are great.

I planted 30 irises, and got 6 to bloom. Which is not to bad, as I was told they may not bloom the first year.

Mother Earth

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

My little friend, He's as big as a toe nail. And scared me half to death, by jumping out of some weeds I was pulling.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Pass The Wine

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Good pictures, projects and responces. I agree with all of them so now I don't have to type it all.

Tils, I got 24 iris last fall. Lost a few and one bloomed. It was really pretty.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

That one is pretty almost looks like Raven's Quote.
I lost a few too.

All my Dals came back but two

Thumbnail by tillysrat

RJ..... I forgot to mention from up above...Thanks for the offer of the tool for help in air layering! If mine doesn't work, I'll gladly take you up on it. However, for now, I think that it will be a great tool for you if you want to clone your toona tree someday, or any other great plant in your yard. lol. I actually managed to take my air layering stuff out of the car and place them at one of my little "work stations" in the yard. Then promptly went back to digging stuff up. lol. But, that's real progress for me. I'll read directions tomorrow, I hope, and see what I'm in for.

Tilly... great iris. I love 'Pass the Wine'. I'm glad that you're caught back up with us. I have really been wondering for a while now what was going on.

Pony.. Pretty pink Lupine. Have a great time at the Canal.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Going to try to stay up with you, but you all are to fast. LOL

Off to bed early call in AM Hair appt. Going to hide the grey hA hA

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Tilly..beautiful poppy!

My Climbing Valentine rose is out of control!! Must work on that one tomorrow.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Clematis

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Bea.... I love the look of that valentine rose being out of control!

Tilly... Glad that you're keeping up with us. lol

Katie... I forgot to say thanks for the vote of confidence on the purple and orange combination. It's not a color combo that I've ever been brave enough to try yet. Lol.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Did some say "Purple & Orange" combo? Not sure about this one. The nastursium are not permanent..they can be moved in their pot. Lavender stays put!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

I like it Bea!

Here's a few from today.

Thumbnail by redchic01

my absolute favorite grass!

Thumbnail by redchic01

chamaecyparis

Thumbnail by redchic01

echinacea

Thumbnail by redchic01

salvia and maple

Thumbnail by redchic01

The last one.

I really like this combination

Thumbnail by redchic01
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

red. is that a carnation?. It is beautiful.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Awesome picture of the frog in the Lilies Bea!!

Yep, it's a carnation. I can't think of the name of the variety at the moment. It smells soooooo good!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Purple and orange is y favorite in the garden Go for it Shelly Bea I love that lavender and orange - it looks great to e I just think the key is to balance the intensity of the two colors

Thanks. I will. I think that your right about balancing the intensity of them. It seems to look good together that both colors need to be equally intense?? As in if it's a light purple, a mild or light orange goes best, and a dark and vibrant purple goes with a darker vibrant orange? Or is this not the case?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think that's a good rule of thumb - of course, there are probably exceptions. I have seen a Magenta Daisy/Aster around lately that looks awesome with a strong orange, so there's definitely room to play around with the shade.

I think that, with colors like orange, we have to be careful not to dismiss them too soon . . . but it really pops her in the PNW, where pinks and lavenders can tend to fade into the green.

Pony, Nice lupine! Yeah, that storm was something! Looks like you will have good weather for your trip...hope you have fun!

Tills, great iris and poppy! Especially love Pass the Wine. Six blooming out of 30 new is stunning! I am still waiting for some that I planted several years ago to show their faces!

Willow, yours is lovely too. Isn't it frustrating to lose them? I have resigned myself to the fact that my wet/sluggy combo is just not the right home for some iris.

Bea, I really like your out of control Valentine rose too! I also really like your Nast./Lavender combo...stunning! And of course the ultra awesome frog pic!

RC, Your layering supplies have made it much further than mine...hopefully they stay in motion! Will be curious to see how you do! I DO have plans for my Toona tree...just need to let it get a wee bit bigger :P (BTW, it has taken to it's home very nicely and looks very happy there!) I really like your combos, especially the pic of the salvia with the maple in the background. Another purplish/orangish combo! I am with Kathy...I think that it is a stunning combo in the garden IF the two shades work with each other. I don't think that it is necessarily the intensity as much as the shading of the two colors that either "work" or "don't work". My Mom has a purple rhodie/orange exbury combo that are both intense in color and I just cringe when I see it. Same with my lavender azalea/orange exbury combo that are both light in color....just not right. This was an unintentional but wonderful combo with intense purple and light orange that I just love. Wasn't able to get a better pic last year, but hope to this year. Forbidden Desires (purple) with Latin Rythm (orange).

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And another poor picture from last year, but the other direction of combo.. bright orange with lavender Flasher with purple phlox

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Look what I found in my garden....

Ginger

Thumbnail by beadmom
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Actually.. I found several :)

Ginger

Thumbnail by beadmom

My daylily to post for the morning...Awesome Blossom

Thumbnail by Rarejem