Garden Pics: 'How Does Your Garden Grow?' ...#8

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, Julie- that's going to be quite a daylily show when it gets going full force! I love the foxglove, too!

I'm so envious of all the huge garden spaces I see here... our lot isn't very big. But I'm determined to cram as many flower beds in as I possibly can. Hubby insists we need to keep a lawn, but I'll keep working on shrinking it... muahahaha! ;)

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

lol.... I agree. No Lawn! They are nitrogen sucking, gauranteed chore causing, lawn mower supporters! Can you tell that I don't like to mow lawns? lol. But really, I've never understood the desire for something that: is a guaranteed chore, doesn't flower, doesn't change color, just sits there, uses up water!!!

Exactly! Why have that when you can have flowers, flowers and more flowers? :D

(never mind the fact that hubby is supposed to mow the lawn and never does, so it's always overgrown and looks ugly. bleah.)

Definitely!! great minds think alike!!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

RC and Pony, I was laughing at a thread in the garden discussions a few weeks ago where a gal was secretly rounding up the lawn her husband insisted on one spot at a time. When he got frustrated that grass "just wouldn't grow" in a location, she fixed the problem by making another raised bed....

RC, I love the echy with the spiderwort. And really like the spirea! Can't wait to see if you have luck air layering...I might be able to loan you a little "tool" for it that is STILL sitting never used in my greenhouse stash!

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Love all the pictures. With my entire back yard being 43 x 20 the only way I can make room for flowers is to start doing away with grass.....have to leave a small area for the dog or she will choose my favorite plants upon which to take a nap etc. The front yards here are mostly lava rock and clay.....Mom loves it. ..I think it is an abomination. At least on my side of it I am slowly adding flowers and plants, preferably low and invasive and have threatened the grounds keeper with bodily harm if I see him even thinking about spraying his chemicals anywhere near our yard! The new pond and bed will do away with a great deal of the lava rock!!

OMG Roundup. That's brilliant. I have a nice big jug of it in the shed... Muahahahaha! >:D

Eugene, OR

OMG!! Take off a night and look what happens. Leashed trained geckos and slug hunting frog patrols. I love it!! Beautiful gardens everyone!! The colors keep getting better and better!!

I don't have much to show off at the moment, but here's the flowerbed I built over Memorial day weekend:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Here's half the front porch:

Thumbnail by the1pony

And the other half of the front porch:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Trisha, I have seen lava rock used nicely (LynnWeidman's front courtyard is a perfect example), but I have absolutely NO desire for it in my yard, and I can't imagine having a small world and having any part of it red rock! Good for you that you are working at something more attractive!

Pony, Your yard is lovely! Can't wait to see how your gardens progress as the season goes on! I am really a fan of the stone edging...it sets the plants off so nicely!

I am thrilled that I have basically unlimited space to garden (unlimited as long as I don't want full sun beds that is), but for all of those bemoaning small spaces just remember that the maintenance level raises in direct proportion to the amount of space being maintained! It's definitely a tradeoff!

I forgot to post this one last night, but thought it was worth sharing...my Swirling Spider is really starting to put on a nice show.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rj.... that daylily is pretty, and well named too! I love that story about the grass that just wouldn't grow too! I have had dreams about doing, and getting away with, such things. That would be great!

Pony.... Your place is very nice! I agree with RJ about the space, at least yours is a very manable space. Mine is always way out of hand! That's great that you were able to put that planter together in a weekend. Very nice handy work!

Trishia... it sounds as if you have your work cut out for you. it sounds like before and after pictures would be good.

Thanks Julie.
This picture is the new plantings they put in the median at the intersection of Plum and Henderson when you get off at the 105 exit to Olympia. I want to do something similar in the front here...but with flowers instead of the shrubs in the center....need to keep it low to be able to see the pond and the street....mom has to be able to keep track of the neighbors.....I would prefer to not be able to see another house.....someday.

Thumbnail by zhinusmom

Wow Trisha, that would definitely be something to strive for! Very nice!

Eugene, OR

I agree with Julie, nice project!

It should be fun....it will be on a much, much smaller scale than what the city did.....and may take a while as it is being done on a less than shoestring budget....a how do you make something from nothing project.

Eugene, OR

ya start with little plants and watch em grow! At least that's my method. Hopefully you can get what you want at reasonable prices. I know all about budgets! LOL

Just wish I had more patience....:(

Trisha, It is amazing how quickly things develop with loving tending! You will be surprised.

As for the budget, I know all about that as well. Fortunately, plants in the smallest containers tend to catch up to the more expensive sizes fairly rapidly if they are happy. There are quite a few things on the "have" list for the roundup plant exchange that would be wonderful additions to a garden like that, and I know everyone here would be thrilled to have had something to contribute to the garden you are planning. That fits into any budget "perfectly"!

I am thrilled to say that I am about 98% done with my spring? planting now. I am never planting this late, but our wet yucky start to the season put me horribly behind. It was a really good feeling to spend most of the day yesterday weeding and deadheading instead!

I am so thrilled...the daylilies are sneaking out! This is Video

Thumbnail by Rarejem

This was a really cool moth that I came across while weeding yesterday. I tried to take his pic on the foilage setting to share his true colors..the green was really bright... but the whole time he was sitting there he was tremmoring (is that a word?) his wings, so I couldn't get a clear shot with the slower shutter speed. At least you can see his pretty patterns in this pic!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

My maltese cross is just starting. I think the color on these is fantastic!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

My spectacular iris has friends now, and this is the true color.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And the front of the house...almost all cleaned up from the planting mess and starting to show it's summer color.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
(Judi)Portland, OR

I am so behind on this thread! Great photos everyone! Trish I like that photo of the median planting. You'll make it happen - who doesn't have budget issues these days! I have daylilies blooming and they are a nice pale yellow. They were in the garden when I bought the house. Alas, I have not replaced my broken camera yet - budget issues!

Julie beautiful pics, the moth has chosen the perfect rock....his coloring is ideal camo on that particular rock.

Julie, your house looks awesome. So much wonderful life and color around it! Well done. :)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Julie, Everything looks great up your way. I love that Iris. Do you know the name?

Had a wierd experience with my frog named slim this weekend. Happy outcome but scary while it was happening. Story posted in the Water garden forum if interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1005266/

The pokers are really tall this year. The goofy one is still growing well.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2009 6:39 AM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Sexy Rexy is loaded with blooms again this year. It's a great pink rose!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The front bed by the sidewalk is going crazy.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A pretty pink poppy

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

One of these got knocked down during Friday nights storm. It is keeping me amused indoors. I placed it in a sturdy stone vase and it keeps me entertained while I wash dishes.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Nicole never lets you down.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love that 'poker'. Must go on the must have list.

Eugene, OR

Julie and Bea.....everything is so lovely!! Love that iris and the poker. Bet hummers love that one!

That froggy story was great. Like I always say......The things you learn on DG!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2009 9:08 PM

(Judi)Portland, OR

That Sexy Rexy rose is amazing and absolutely perfect. Isn't nature wonderful!

Trishia.... That's a great goal. That's one of the best median plantings that I've seen.

I agree about those budget issues. It rarely takes all that long for the containers to catch up to the gallons! And for me, they just have to!

Bea.... great pics. I love that Delph!

i just have one pic for now. This seemed to look better in black and white for some reason. While it did rain today, that was the sprinkler causing the "rain" in this pic.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Eugene, OR

Good One rc!!!

Great pictures everyone. Bill and Sage got the digging done...

Thumbnail by zhinusmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.