Crooked tree

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm a rank amateur. Got this guy as a sapling and pretty much just stuck it in a pot. It is bending at the joint where the green tie is. This spot is flexible. Can I train it straight by putting some kind of splint on it? Any other suggestions? It is an American Redbud.

Thumbnail by MichaelZ
Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Another view.

Thumbnail by MichaelZ
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Just put a bamboo stake in the pot next to the stem and use the green gardening tape to tape it up to the stake - it will soon straighten up.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Also, it's not a redbud--I'm not sure what it is but the leaves are the wrong shape for redbud. I'm sure someone here can tell you what it is, or if not then post it in the ID forum and someone there will know for sure.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Koelreuteria paniculata

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That's definitely a Golden Rain Tree, as Resin notes, and not a Redbud (Cercis canadensis).

Let me guess: did you get it from the National Arbor Day Foundation?

Around here, Golden Rain Tree grows perfectly well but tends to start seeding itself in - so I wouldn't recommend this species in the midwest. I don't know how it behaves in the Pacific northwest climes of Oregon, but you ought to research that some before setting it loose in your landscape (especially if you were really wanting a Redbud).

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

KayJones advice makes the most sense. But, there is an alternative that sometimes makes for an interesting landscape specimen. Plant the tree (or repot) by placing the root ball on such an angle that the top is straight. You'll have a permanent bend in the trunk and kind of a windswept look. To see if you like that look place wedges under the pot on one side until top is straight. It could look great or terrible. Depends on how much of an angle you get.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It'll also get considerably larger than the redbud you thought it was, so if you were planning to plant it in the yard somewhere you may want to doublecheck that the location you were thinking of will still work for a much larger tree.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the advice. Yes I did get it through a contribution to Arborday. I kinda lost track of which was which. I had three of six trees survive. For me that is a good survival rate in the garden. I'm not sure what I will eventually do with this one. For now I will just try to keep it happy.

Viburnum, what does "seeding itself in" mean? Like I said, I am an amateur.

Thanks again all.

Z

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Viburnum, what does "seeding itself in" mean?

Becomes invasive - once it is old enough to flower and produce seeds, the seeds then start sprouting all over the place and become nuisance weeds. I'd say that's unlikely to happen in the PNW climate, as it is a species which prefers the heat/humidity combination found in the eastern USA.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.