help ..Snellville GA

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have dry spots in my garden can someone tell me
what can I do too help the grass grow.

Thumbnail by cjcjmass
Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm trying to build a Cancer Awarness Garden....

Take a look at the grass :( ...

Thumbnail by cjcjmass
Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

just thought I would share.

Thumbnail by cjcjmass
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

HI cjcjmass,
I hate to be a spoil sport but grass needs 1" of water a week to do well. That is most kinds. It also needs a good bit of sun, mostly sun, and aeration. Your soil may be compacted and that makes it more difficult to take up the water. Ideally soil is improved and tilled and raked before planting grass.

That said, if you cannot water nor improve the situation, can you consider ground cover other than grass? What is the goal for the area? A play surface? Or just space between flower beds and your screening plants (Leylands?).

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Wish I could help you with the grass, however, I don't know much about grasses......you county ag. extension agent may be able to help. I do like your flower bed and the cancer awareness garden, having just lost two family members to it. There are plans in my head to make a memory garden for them but, it is too soon just yet....right now there is not much strength or spirit to do it.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

My sympathy to you bugme. It has taken my dad, my best gardening buddy.
yes, cj, the memory garden/awareness is very nice. I feel close to my dad whenever I'm in the garden.

Ext agent is a good idea re: grass. My goal is to have none -leaving more room for flowers.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks like you've got red clay there. You may need to aerate with one of those machines that either put holes in the ground or pull out plugs. We did that when we lived in Lawrenceville, about every other year.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Who needs grass? It requires lots of chemicals and care. You can get rid of the grass, put down pine straw, or another mulch, and gradually develop more of the space for planting. You'll be helping the soil instead of robbing it, which is what grass does.
Laurel

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree Laurel...GA is a hard place to have a lawn without more work than it takes to keep flowerbeds....
It needs to be aerated every 2 years, dethatched, fertilized, weed killer, high water bill etc..Just not worth it...Putting down that new rubber mulch they make for play areas, and putting the rest into plant beds, either inground or raised is the best bet...I love having a load of soil and humus dumped and made into planting *berms* with mulched, or pea gravel or crushed granite paths all around...

We will be back home in GA in September, and I can't wait to go broke on killing grass to get ready for next Spring...LOL

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with Laurel and Dusty about removing as much lawn as possible. We are slowly doing it here. But we live in a subdivision without covenants. I have friends that can't even plant a new shrub without an OK from the home owners assn. They had to replace their front door because of water damage. They didn't get around to painting it for about a week and got a citation because it was gray (primer color) and not the required black. I doubt such a radical place would allow lawn removal. Some even stipulate what type of grass you can have.

Dusty - glad to know you are moving south. Do you have a place yet? Near Brunswick if I recall right.

Becky

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Becky...No...north of Hotlanta...Son was offered a promotion a couple weeks ago which would have moved us toward the Savannah area, but he decided to turn it down...We are actually looking between Rome and Kennesaw where he lives, but much closer to the Rome area, as there is a VA clinic there that will save us from a monthly trip into Atlanta for lab work...If I don't find a place between now and Sept. we will come on down, and stay with them until I can find what I want...One way or another, September is the move date...I want out of this forsaken state before I have to turn on a furnace again...

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you everyone for your input.Sorry just got
out of the hospital yesterday.Can anyone recommend
someone to build a deck /

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

cj - sorry to hear you were in the hospital. Hope you are much better. About the deck, you might try servicemagic.com to get recommendations and get at least 3 estimates.

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh thank you so much i'm going to start working
on that tomorrow ..Right now i'm trying to build up
some strength to go outside and see what's in Bloom.
It's a shame the entire time while i was in Gwinnett Hospital
all I could think about was my garden. LOL

I'm a fighter i'll be o.k

Cindy

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Cindy, Glad you are on the mend. It's not a shame, IMHO, that you thought about your garden. It is a pleasant and relaxing subject -- except for the part about worrying who is weeding it and what blooms you're missing :) STILL, it's a good thing to garden and a good thing you had it to think about and motivate you to stay/get strong and get back home out in it!! Sending good thoughts your way. Take care.

Use servicemagic and check on Kudzu for good reviews and photos. I hope you are feeling better now.

I too am a de-grasser. Currently I have NO grass at all, some weeds in a few places, but no more grass :) We have no covenants however I've had some problems with the City and no grass. I'd never believe that in my neighborhood that would ever be an issue (I have lots of neighbors with dirt and piles of cars, and no grass!!) - but apparently it is viewed that some people should be forced to spend money on grass while others can "grow" trash and junk in their yard.

I'm a bit fed up with this crazy city right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.