Garden Photos of '09...#27

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You GO Tex68 for watermelon!!! Ya flowerjen its the centaurea montana. So prettiful in early summer and then floppy and looks crappy when I cut it back too. I've planted LA hybrid lilys and oriental poppy seedlings in front of it to hopefully hide it when it's in it's crappy mood.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well crud that's the one I just bought.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No worries flowerjen. Mine is in afternoon sun and it may behave better in morning or full sun. Maybe yours will be in a continual happy mood ^_^

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey Tex, watermelon will take up your yard and the neighbors too :)

Dnut, I don;t know what your booboo is but I love the Martha stone along with all your pretty pics.

Jen, I see the headlines now "Long Branch Garden invaded by unknown gremlins, only the lingering smell of cooked eggs found"

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey Dahlianut, is this the time for Siberian Irises to flower? I just have them this year. I planted them early spring. Got it from eBay. They're matured plants already - strong roots and huge rhizomes, but they cut off half of the foliage when they shipped it to me. Now they're growing so lush, excellent foliage getting taller and taller. I'm just wondering if they're going to flower this year.

As your name implies, do you grow Dahlias too? I just planted some 'dinner plate' bulbs a week or so ago and I just checked on them yesterday and they're already sprouting above ground.

And what is 'SB'? Is that an iris also? I have a bearded iris that just look like that. Same color combination.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

To all UNKNOWN GREMLINS: Please read sign by the gate!

GARDEN PROTECTED BY WATERMELON-SHOOTING CANNONS! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am on a high learning curve with iris Tex68. My understanding from my dear friend who gave them to me is that siberians can pout for the first year or too while they get established or are transplanted. Also I learned when nervously transplanting an iris that you are supposed to cut the foliage down to one third when transplanting so it sounds like you had a good supplier. Hopefully irisMA will chime in. YOO HOO irisMA! I call the mid size bearded ones 'standard bearded' but that is soooo not right but I get confused with the nomeculture of the iris between Standard Dwarf Bearded and Intermediate Bearded. YOO HOO irisMA!!!!

My name is Dahlianut and I'm a Dahliaholic. Please join us on the Dahlia Forum. We DG Dahliaholics luv dahlia pics even if you just have a few ^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice shots all!... Weese I love your snails!!!

cute gremlins Tex!!.. my co-worker has 2 pugs

like mother like kids... your dancing lupine is dancing like you Dnut!!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info Dahlianut. I didn't even know you have to cut the foliage down to a third when transplanting irises. I really don't care if my Siberian Irises will not flower this year as long as they grow healthy and that they will come back next year. I even tried Louisiana Irises this year. I created my own 'bog' as they like to have wet feet and they're doing great as well.

As for the Dahlias, I have a long way to go till they flower. They just sprouted from the ground. I wasn't going to be bothered digging them up during the fall, storing, and replanting them again. But Home Depot got all their bulb and tuber packages at 50% off. I was reading the package and they came directly from Holland and the blooms are like the size of dinner plates, so I got tempted. I also bought 3 packages of Gladiolus corms. Those I know are hardy to our area given the right protection.

I will visit the Dahlia Forum as well. Maybe get an information or two and hopefully post my Dahlia pics in the near future.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Alot of people treat dahlias like annuals and don't dig them up. What ever works for you is the way to go. Do stake the dinnerplates though as the stems will break from the weight of the flowers in wind and rain. Methinks you are going to TOTALLY LUV them. (of course I'm not biased).

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Of course not. ^_^

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Treat them as annuals! Why didn't I thought of that. But 20 years from now I can pass them on as 'heirloom bulbs/tubers'! Just kidding!

Well, good night everybody, I'm out of here!

South Hamilton, MA

Who's irisMA? Sorry I lost the thread as I wear wrist braces at night & sometimes hit the wrong keys. Foliage is cut when transplanting to lesson shock of water loss. Standard dwarf--ht.8-15" originally develped crossing species I.pumila with tall bearded. Int. bearded ht.16-27" originally develped crossing dwarfs & TB, now more creative work being done, but height the same. Tall beardeds are over 28" in height.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nitey nite Tex68.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ya see! I JUST KNEW she would have all the confusion unconfused ^_^ Thanks everso irisMA

South Hamilton, MA

Me too--don't keep old ladies up at night.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nitey nite irisMA. I'm still in the early eve and on a mission to catch an earwig. MWHAAA HAAA HAAA (totally evil laugh to bolster my courage cuz this is my first earwig and I'm worried that he can take me :O)

South Hamilton, MA

Try fly swatter? That is early morning humor.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wow we need a new thread - but i'm not allowed:)
very nice pic's
dnut i almost came home with that variegated forsythia yesterday, may have to re-think that decision.

Tex, my SIBs are done blooming. Yours probably will not bloom til next year, but having a full year to establish themselves, be prepared for a beautiful show. You do have them in full sun?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dahlia, I think your boo-boo is tjhat you ARE Martha Stewart!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I thought DNut was Martha's middle name?

We have our centaurea in morning shade and afternoon sun, and on the northwest side of the house. The first two years it was a bit spindly, but this year it has taken off and almost taken over! As you can see by this photo, we think we need to divide it up some at the end of this season. The centaurea are the 'shrubs' behind the iris.

Thumbnail by Candyce

They look terrific Candyce!

Thomaston, CT

Not worried about earwigs, but there was a huge black spider in my bedroom last night----ran too fast for me to get him! It's this blankety-blank damp weather! Here's Only the Lonely nicotiana fianally blooming!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

And Chinese Foxglove....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Thanks. I love them all bushy and full like that. Anna, though, would like them to be a bit less bushy. Underneath the big centaurea is a very small pink centaurea plant that just hasn't stood a chance this year. I'd rather move the pink one and let the blue ones grow.

Robindog, those are beautiful. I've never heard of a Chinese Foxglove before. Is it hardy?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nICE mARILYN

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Candyce those centaurea look awesome.

I think so, too, Jen. Thanks! Now, I've got to go look up the Chinese Foxglove and see if we can plant one here ... somewhere!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I have taken the liberty to start Thread 28

Please, Come!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004052/

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.