Organic ferilizer for tomatoes and dahlias

Portland, OR

I've been making my own organic fertilizer ever since reading Teaming With Microbes. It's a great all-purpose veggie fertilizer. Now I want to make one for just my dahlias and tomatoes, and I don't want any nitrogen in it. Does anyone have a formula they would be kind enough to share with me?

Thanks!

anne

Berkey, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry, I don't have any formulae at all. If I did, I would share. Would you mind sharing your other organic fertilizer recipe, please?

Thanks!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Peg, I'll post my "general" recipe and also look forward to anne's.

2 parts cottonseed meal which is 6-2-1(or use blood meal or soybean meal),

1 part rock phosphate which is 0-3-0 (or use bone meal) and

1 part greensand which is an infinitesimal 0-0-0.1 (or granite dust).

Use 4-5 lbs. per 100 sq. ft of beds.

Not exactly balanced but we don't seem to need lots of K added (potassium) here in our soils.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you're happy with what you've been using, I would just tweak your existing recipe--take out the things that are contributing a lot of nitrogen, and if you lose some P or K as a result of removing those ingredients, add a little more of the P or K-rich ingredients to compensate.

Portland, OR

Hi Peg, I use Steve Solomon's formula for a "complete organic fertilizer" which is as follows:

4 parts seed meal (e.g, cottonseed, soybean meal)
1/2 part lime
1/2 part phosphate rock or bonemeal
1/2 part kelp meal

Steve writes that if you are short on funds, the first two ingredients will suffice.

I guess I could just leave out the seed meal for use on my dahlias and tomatoes.... thanks for the suggestion, ecrane. Cedar, I notice that your formula is heavier in the phosphate ratio (therefore lighter in nitrogen, relatively). That should work, too.......

Berkey, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks to you both for your recipes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.