Dividing coneflowers

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

A friend of mine has a few large clumps of echinaceas that obviously need to be divided and she has offered to let me have the extras. When is the best time to divide these and transplant? Really, within the next week would work well for me and the truly hot weather hasn't set in yet--if anything things have been unseasonably cool here for a while and this looks to continue for the next seven days.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks! :)

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I've always been told to do this in early Spring or Fall. You can try now if you want, but if it gets hot, they will probably croak unless you get really good roots.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

If you can do it in the next week or so I think it would be okay if like maniac said you get a good root ball. With the forecast for the next week with cool nights and mostly cloudy you should be okay if you get them in right away. Don't forget to water the parent plant well before and the new babies in their new home. If we keep having rainy drizzle you won't have to worry but lets face it, the old weather guys have been known to be wrong on occasion up here in NE. On the small chance that we do go into a summer blast or actually get some real sunshine you can shade the new arrival with an umbrella or lawn chair just until it gets happy in its new home Good luck.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone--I think I will give it a try. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.