Coop Plug 1st blooming

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

This is "Sunrise", a plug from this years earlier coop.. I was surprised to see a bloom on such a small plant.. Not bad..

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Not bad at all. Just keep it going and growing and you'll see more of those for sure.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

My other ones from the same coop are much larger, but no blooms yet.. My older Echies are all blooming now..Looking good..

Larkie

They'll get there I'm sure. The Echies are all blooming here in South Florida for me also. I'm a happy camper.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Do you plant your plugs directly outside? I was told to grow mine in pots until they got larger. If you are having good luck I might try your method. How do you prepare the soil, etc.? Thanks for any tips.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

We actually had a fair Spring here this year, so I decided to plant them directly.. I kept the ground cooler with lots of mulch..They are doing great.. If we had been as hot as early as usual they might not have done as well, but they got established enough.. Like today, we are already up to 95 degrees with 89% humidity... hot, hot & hotter, lol...

As for preparing the ground? I just dig, add water & plant, mulch..These are in an established bed that was prepared by layering newspaper, clippings, leaves and then when I plant I add pinestraw..A year ago, most of this bed was grass..Thick layering beats digging grass..The only fertilizer's that I use are chicken, duck & goat manure from my own pens when they are cleaned..I also add my shredded papers to these beds ..

Larkie

This message was edited Jun 12, 2009 11:04 AM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2009 11:05 AM

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Larkie. I'm trying to get better at growing these plug-sized plants. I just discovered the co-op forum and am so glad I did!

Yeah, the plug sized plants can be a bit tricky...and even more so at this hot time of the year. I immediately pot them in 4 inch pots and just fill in the soil around them. I try not to push the soil down much at all so I'm not disturbing the roots. Then I just adjust them to sun and let them stay in the 4' pots for 4-6 weeks to establish themselves better. At that time I usually feel pretty comfortable with planting them in the ground.
Jon

I usually go for the 4" pots that are deeper as some of them can be quite shallow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.