Summer ...show your pic's # 2

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

The other thread was getting long.
This is the first of my winter sown plants to bloom.
corncockle

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

lots of dianthus still blooming

Thumbnail by gardengus
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Lets get this thread rolling !!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

We have thunder storms here today. These are from yesterday.
A campandula called pink octopus
A weird little bloom

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This is on a begonia ,in a pot
New to me , I liked the different bloom .
I asked the name and the lady just said'' pretty pink''.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Looking through my photos I just noticed the blooms seem to be all pink. I guess it is a season of pink this week.
This is an alpine catchfly I started from winter sowing.

Thumbnail by gardengus

guess its you and me gus!!!we too are having more rain,Iam up by ft wayne ,I will have to go take new pictures later today,weather permiting.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

A new lily

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

And a rich pick daylily named Clown's Caberet

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

As soon as I uploaded the pictures I realized I was on the old thread.

Gardengus- I live in town ,so no chickens for a long long time. The building hadn't been used for years. There was no glass in the windows and the door had a broken hinge. Although I don't really need the space, I thought we might as well make it look good. Plus it now has electric, cold running water, and a potbelly stove. I tell my Dh he had better be good or he'll be living out there.

mao

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Sounds like
a guest cottage to me.

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Love all the pictures. I guess I am not in a picture taking mood. Maybe next week.
Huggergirl what do you have in your strawberry jar besides penta. I'm always wanting to plant something else besides hen and chicks in them. It would need to be plants that like dry conditions I think. That is a nice presentation.
Really loved the chicken house and surrounding gardens, moazamom

Indynannyof8,just some lobeila,i had a bumper crop of it,I have another strawberry pot full of it too.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

With all this rain I have a ton of weeding to do. Great pics everyone.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 8:26 PM

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I went out in the garden after the rain and found some things that are not pink.
The lilies are just starting to open among some daises.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Just got this one last year.
It is called cappuccino.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

mao, gorgeous Hosta beds, and I love the chicken house/potting shed.

Bay Village, OH

the day before the deer ate 'em

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have the same problem, except mine doesn't wait until they flowered before eating them. They eat them early. Had a nice little salad party the other night. Ate all the leaves on the sunflowers too. I spray the plants with eggs and tobasco sauce last night so hope that will keep them at bay for a little while.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank goodness we're surrounded by dairy country. The deer have plenty to eat without coming into town for a smorgasbord in my front yard. Even when I was out in the country we had no problem with them. I hope your noxious spray works.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

I don't have a problem with deer, but the squirrels love to dig anything up that's freshly planted. They have a sixth sense about any soil that has been disturbed. They'll find it and dig in it. I had to put crates over my hostas when they were coming up this year to keep them from eating them.

I accidentally posted on the old thread first....

Thumbnail by twbmom
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Gardengus, it's interesting to hear your observation about "everything is pink"... I know we all have favorite colors and thus our gardens reflect those preferences, but I also know in previous years there was a certain time in June, when it seemed like everything blooming in my garden was yellow - daylilies, Missouri primrose, etc.. Last spring I had a week when everything was pale lavender.

What strikes me is just the fact that there are spots of a similar color all through the garden and they all seem to work together for a few days. It may be coincidence or I guess it's possible that the flowers of a certain hue may also somehow be 'timed' together or insects to pollinate or something...

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have noticed seasons of color . It seems the yellows here wait till it gets hot , around daylily time. Maybe it depends on what pollinator they are trying to attract .
My garden has no color theme or plan, things just go wherever there is a space , I guess that is why I hang out in the cottage garden forum.
They do not have a ciaos garden forum.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

LOL, that is me too no plan more than just to grow what is easy and will reseed or bloom from April to November. I do plant a lot of pinks though. My spring beds had a lot of the reseeded purple larkspur. Now the orange cosmos are coming up all over and starting to bloom. The end of my daylilies, don't think I posted this before.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I would never want a 'theme' garden. I'm with you GardenGus - I plant whatever grows well for my conditions and I like. I remember reading about a famous fashion designer's house in the Hamptons years ago. The gardens contained only white flowers, so everything was green or white. How boring!

A well-known local gardener (featured on all the tours) once stated, "You'll never find red in my garden." That's ridiculous! Look at landscape paintings by any famous artist and you'll find red - even Corot, with his very dark, brooding landscapes, had tiny flecks of red throughout, when you get up close to observe.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm too "all over the place" with the garden to really do much in the way of themed plantings. I just have certain color combinations in various beds that I like. With lots of blooms in most of the beds now, I noticed that I've unintentionally arranged the colors the way Gertrude Jekyll designed her cottage gardens. She concentrated cooler colors toward the center "bulk" of the garden and brought in hot colors toward the edges. Magenta was the color she found discordant in the garden, and didn't use it in her designs. There's where I don't agree with good old Gertrude- I love them gaudy colors!

Westford, MA(Zone 6a)

I also want a wild, unplanned look to my garden, but I noticed yesterday that one of my gardens is very blue. And it wasn't on purpose!

I have campanula (both the tall peachflower and creeping kind) blooming, as well as 'Rozanne' geranium. I wish the digitalis Grandiflora and apricot-colored achillea would hurry up to provide some contrast. Both are just budding and opening up, but we've had so much rain this month, they are taking their time.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow! Get busy and you you miss so much!
Lovely blooms all!
Has been rather quiet for awhile bloomwise, but a few things have just kicked into gear..
hollyhocks are just getting going..

Thumbnail by artemiss
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Lilies..

Thumbnail by artemiss
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Sea holly..

Thumbnail by artemiss
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

And the salvia and heuchera have been going for awhile now..

Thumbnail by artemiss
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The sweet peas have taken over.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The Lavaglut roses are so stunning. I put in a second bush last fall. That's how much I love this rose.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

More colors of blue.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

More pretty poppies.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Pink yarrow

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Love that hollyhock collage. I have gotten lazy and not planted any, just let them reseed so all mine are singles. I need to buy some of the fun curly petaled, doubles for next year!

My Disneyland rose is flushing again. No photos really showcase the electric blooms though.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

cactus.. They are so lovely. Nothing is better than seeing them in person. This shot I took yesterday
really captured their true color.(for the moment anyway). Today they have a bit of pink.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Sexy Rexy is another great rose. Lots of blooms and no problems so far with pest or disease.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Westford, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, great new pictures! I love those hollyhocks, and sea holly is very interesting looking. I have never seen one before. Must get next season.

Beahive, what are those blues? Gorgeous! They aren't campanulas are they? And I'd love to know the name of that poppy if you don't mind sharing. I'd like to get some pink ones, but I have only seen oranges and yellows so far.

Sexy Rexy is a great name for that rose. I think that's the most perfect thing I have seen in a while.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.