Black Webspinner (Oligotoma nigra)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Xenomorf
NW corner of Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think these little guys are cute. However, I haven't found them that endearing recently. Somehow, at night, they get in somewhere around my bathroom window. I went in there about a week ago when it was dark and they were all over the walls! I have a night light in there all the time, but this is the first instance a whole slew of them has infiltrated my home. I usually find one or two flying around at night inside every now and again in the summer, but this last week was like an invasion. In the morning after the sun comes up, only a few are left in the tub, but I have no clue as to where the rest of them go before daylight. During the night, they are usually on the walls near the ceiling.

They are cute, but not in large numbers, and most especially not in large numbers inside your home.

Do they provide benefit in the garden?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't know if they are beneficial to the garden or not, my guess would be 'yes' that they are. (without researching it) I would guess that they might eat some other harmful bug but I could be wrong.
I don't see many of these at my place, only this one on the back patio where I had the lighting set up at night.

NW corner of Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the response. I don't have the problem anymore, although I do see one on the walls at night here in my home every now and again.

I read in a book somewhere that they were rare or at least uncommon. Strange.

Must have been breeding season or something that week! I think it was after we had a few days of sporadic rain. Maybe that triggered breeding behavior...

Snert

Dunn, NC

I saw a bug that looks exactly like this, I took a pic, but can't find it. I'm in Central NC. First one I've Ever seen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.