High speed/DSL; "two-wire modem"?, "router"? "Rescue Pak?"

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, Folks...

I just found out today that our phone company, Embarq, finally has "limited" high speed connection where we are. Am I about to say goodbye to dial-up?

After talking on the phone w/them I hung up excited and confused. Connection speed is 768, super faster than dial up even though it is their slowest connection speed (only speed available due to where we are). But now I am told I need to buy their two-wire modem so we can use a second computer and the second computer must be within 100 ft of the modem (which it may not be). So...if the wireless modem won't run the second computer (due to distance) do I buy a second modem for it?

At some point Embarq mentioned picking up a router (or something) at Staples, Best Buy, but didn't go into detail. Why would I need that and what does it do? And do I need two?

And here's the reason for all the confusion. My computer is in a building a good ways from the house (referred to as the shoffice) and I hope to be able to use a second computer up at the house OR make it so my DD can use her laptop, which I'm told probably has what it takes to pick up a signal from a wireless modem already in it.

And I'm going easy on ya, Folks, with my questions, but I promise to not overload you so maybe the answers to these questions will clear things up for me.

Very grateful!
Shoe

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!