The Year WIthout A Summer

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

HAVE THUNDERSTORMS BEEN MORE ELECTRIFIED THIS YEAR?

So far, 2009 has been a deadly year for lightning strikes. Two people were killed last week, and another Monday, bringing the total number of lightning-related deaths to seven, with 50 injuries reported total. A Southwest Airlines plane was struck by lightning in California earlier last week. Is this trend of lightning strikes on people and airplanes abnormal this year?

On average, 60 people are killed and over 350 people are injured by lightning each year, with June, July and August the most common months for deaths. In 2008, 27 people were killed by lightning and 303 injured.

As for aircraft, 66 have reported lightning strikes so far this year. Last year, 55 reported lightning strikes to airplanes occurred through May.

The number of deaths and the number of airplanes hit does not seem out of the ordinary this year. Actually, the number of lightning flashes is considerably less than what was reported this time last year. As of June 3, 2009, there have been 5,589,686 flashes, with 6,517,381 reported by June 3, 2008.

One of the reasons for this could be colder-than-normal weather across the northern tier of the country that has suppressed the number of thunderstorms and has significantly reduced the number of tornadoes this year. The number of reported tornadoes so far this year is 685, just over half of the average annual amount, which is 1,297.

According to Long Range Expert Joe Bastardi, areas from the northern Plains into the Northeast will have a "year without a summer." The jet stream, which is suppressed abnormally south this spring, is also suppressing the number of thunderstorms that can form. The ones that do form in areas of the Ohio Valley and West are forming in places with very cold temperatures, which can lead to more electrified thunderstorms than normal this year.

Keep track of lightning in your area by using MapSpace on AccuWeather.com. Lightning Strikes will debut next week, which is the best lightning data available for free on the Internet.

You can also have lightning alerts, including real-time lightning strikes, delivered straight to your e-mail and mobile by signing up for our LightningPlus subscription service, at LightningPlus.AccuWeather.com

Story by AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist Henry Margusity and AccuWeather.com News Correspondent Gina Cherundolo

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=netweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&article=9

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

A LITTLE HISTORY

1816 - The Year Without Summer

By: Lee Foster, Meteorologist

As we all know living in New England means enduring long winters and savoring the short summers. However, in 1816, the summer season was shorter than normal and is commonly referred to as “The Year Without Summer”. I first heard about this infamous summer from my grandfather who lived his entire life in Northern New Hampshire. He was not alive in 1816 but stories of that summer were passed down from generation to generation. His stories about that summer peaked my interest in the actual conditions in 1816 and after some research I discovered that indeed the summer of 1816 was not your typical summer.

The indications of a possible cool summer were evident during the spring time. The middle of May brought unseasonably cool temperatures to the region with light snow reported in Quebec Province with frost as far south as Virginia. Mild and sunny conditions returned to the Northeast by the last week of May before a strong cold front crossed New England on the 28th with light snow again reported in Quebec and frost as far south as Pennsylvania. Reports of fruit trees being set back and acres of corn killed in Maine were common.

After a warm start to June, the month quickly turned stormy. A strong Nor’easter developed along the east coast on the 6th with rain mixed with snow in Quebec City and light snow observed over the highlands of New York and most of Northern New England. As this winter type storm moved into the Canadian Maritimes on the 7th, the storm dumped 6 to 12 inches of snow over most of Northern New England with reports of 2 foot drifts in Quebec City. Strong high pressure followed the storm from the 8th through the 10th with frost every morning and reports of trees blackened or scorched across most of New England. By the end of the month the weather became more typical of June with even a heat wave from the 22nd through the 24th.

If June was bad enough, July started out no better. A strong Canadian cold front crossed New England killing corn, beans, cucumbers and squash and the first talk of famine started. However, by the middle of the month, thoughts of a famine were almost forgotten as the hardy grains such as wheat and rye along with potatoes were doing quite well.

The fine weather continued into the middle of August when another frost occurred over interior New York and all of New England damaging many crops. Then on the 20th a strong cold front crossed the Northeast with violent thunderstorms. Reports of temperatures falling 30 degrees after frontal passage were not uncommon. Frost was reported the next day as far south as Massachusetts with snow reported on Mt Moosilouke in New Hampshire. Corn was destroyed from Albany to Boston. If that cold spell wasn’t enough, it all came to an end on the 28th when another strong cold front crossed the Northeast with severe frost that ended the growing season in most of Northern New England.

The consequences of this season were harsh. Only a third to a fourth of the hay was cut with only 10 percent of the crop harvested in some areas. Orchard yields ranged from barren to moderate but enough grains, wheat, and potatoes were harvested to prevent a famine but hardships did occur. There were reports of people eating raccoons, pigeons, and mackerel. Corn prices rose from $1.00 a bushel to nearly $3.00 a bushel. With crop failure and the shortage of hay, farmers turned to selling their cows and pigs which drove the price of meat down. With so much meat on the market beef prices dropped from $15.50 to $7.50 a barrel with pork falling from $16 to $4 a barrel.

So what caused this unusual weather during the summer of 1816? Some believe it was caused by sinners while some even blamed it on Benjamin Franklin’s lightning rod experiments. However, climate data obtained from trees, ice cores, marine sediment and historical documents indicate 1816 was part of a mini ice age that lasted from 1400 to around 1860. During this time lower solar output produced harsh winters, shorter growing seasons and drier climates which were blamed for a host of human suffering and crop failures such as the Irish Potato Famine. Another possible cause was the eruption of the Tambora volcano on the island of Soembawa in Indonesia on April 15th 1815. The eruption lasted one week and rumbled for 3 months. The mountain elevation dropped from 14,000 feet to 9000 feet, killed close to 10,000 people on the island and another 80,000 people would eventually die from starvation and diseases related to the eruption. Tambora was one of the largest recorded eruptions with estimates of 1.7 million tons of dust put into the air equaling 6 million atomic bombs. The theory is that the dust reached the Northern Hemisphere during 1816 reducing solar output.

Whatever the cause, the next year saw the first general migration from the Northeast to the Midwest and 1816 also became know as the Poverty Year. The following poem from Eileen Marguet summed up the year:

It didn't matter whether your farm was large or small.

It didn't matter if you had a farm at all.

Cause everyone was affected when water didn't run.

The snow and frost continued without the warming sun.

One day in June it got real hot and leaves began to show.

But after that it snowed again and wind and cold did blow.

The cows and horses had no grass, no grain to feed the chicks.

No hay to put aside that time, just dry and shriveled sticks.

The sheep were cold and hungry and many starved to death,

Still waiting for the warming sun to save their labored breath.

The kids were disappointed, no swimming, such a shame.

It was in 1816 that summer never came.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

They just said on Fox news yday in Wisconsin, that this would be a year without summer!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

local meteorologist Craig James said the same thing.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, I don't know. Maybe we're just off to a slow start. I grow a lot of cool weather crops like cabbage, kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli etc. Other things like onions and lettuce and garlic won't mind. The only thing that won't be happy is the tomatoes and peppers but if we get enough 70 degree days they may do OK. I hope so anyway. The roses seem to be doing good so far. They are loaded with blooms. My verbenea is OK in cold as are the marigolds and petunias.

For me, I like the cooler temps. I hate it when it's hot and humid. I'd be happy if it never got to 80 all summer. Give me 50-70 and I'm happy.

I guess we take what we get. I just hope we continue to get a nice rain once a week or so to keep everything nice and green.

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Brenda for the food for thought. Perhaps I will go out and put in a row of spinach after all!

Mary Ellen

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well if you look at the forecast things are going to start heating up the next few weeks!

summer is 2 wks in July if we are lucky(every year)
where the heck is the global warming mr Gohr???

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL! I like cooler weather too, if the skeeters aren't bad. (They ARE though) But I want my maters and peppers to do well, and they are just sitting there. Plus I imagine this is bad for my okra!

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

We love the cooler weather.
Hey, does anyone know where to buy that mosquito hanging thing they advertise
on the telly?
We haven't been able to find it.

I use OFF and it works great.

I hula hoed the garden yesterday and today, all done. Sprayed roundup around
edges by fence, will help with keeping it neat and tidy and clean. easy to mow
around too.

the garden this year is about 30 by 50, with many stilted tomatoes and anemic
peas, languishing arugula, premie carrots. Just when we could use the veg, its
going to be a rough year. Oh well. I am sure we will get some good out of the
garden before long.

Came in for a drink and to check my DG and see how everyone is doing.
Sher

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

If you are talking about the Off brand one, I saw them right at WalMart in the garden center. We got the little one that clips on a belt for my daughter. (She's a mosquito magnet.) Haven't used it a lot with the weather as it has been lately, but seemed to work ok the times that we did.

Mary Ellen

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I remember one summer when I was quit younger the weather was cold all summer. Never got above the mid 70's. I do like the cooler weather. When its so hot I do not even feel like "moving" my self let alone the weeds!! More sun would be good but mot the muggieness. Have a great day everyone. Ronna

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I have a silly question for you fellow Michiganders! I've worked so much overtime that I didn't have time to put my garden beds in. :( I have one that I put in Memorial weekend, but the other three haven't been touched.

I have lots of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, green bean seeds. Is it too late to plant them to get a Fall crop?

Michelle

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

are they seeds or plants???
seeds may be to late-plants are worth a try i would think

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'd go ahead and plant the green bean seeds. They're up pretty fast and it doesn't take that long till you're picking beans. We're starting to get hot weather now and the broccoli may not be happy getting started now. Same for the cauliflower. I think I'd try the carrots. THey'd have time to grow and harves since they're underground and we won't get hard frost till end of October or November (I hope). I wouldn't wait any longer to get strated though. Good luck.

Brenda

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Thanks! That was kind of what I figured. :( Oh well...we should have lots of green beans, lol.

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, sure feels like summer today! :D

Mary Ellen

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

hotter than blazes here!! But I'm not complaining!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LUVIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep it up who ever is watchin the thermostat!!!!!

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL, who said "They just said on Fox news yday in Wisconsin, that this would be a year without summer!"? Don't believe those weathermen!

Record high here on monday of 97 degrees. Young plants are getting sunburned :(

I'll take the 70's back. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Sure is chilly around the Plainwell area today. I love to sit out side afterwork but the wind is so chiily I can not stay out to long... Miss not sitting outside after work. Well maybe later on or the weekend. Funny strange weather we are having this summer. But the plants are going ape. Mine are so huge seems everything is growing like wild fire... Any one else think so? I do love the sleeping weather though. Love to have the windows open and cooler. We are really staring to gear up for my daughters wedding in September. We are having a shower in July it will really be fun. She is getting so excited. So am I. Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, the hot weather seems to have taken a break. We're back to cool, cloudy and rainy. Suits me fine. I prefer it for sleeping and for working outddoors. Everything is so green and lush.

I'm excited for you Ronna for the upcoming wedding. Keep us posted on all the activities. Weddings are fun!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Darn chilly here too! My gardens aren't lush this year, in fact they look pitiful. But that is because the weeds are lush!! DH's health issues have prevented me from doing much, but there's always next year! Just wish the sun would come out!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

rather chilly here too but good working weather .Its suppose to be chilly all weekend here not so good for all the water fun stuff or fire works veiwing out on the water ;0( but we do need some slow long rain here it seems like every time it did rain it went all around me.
hope every one has safe fun fourth I have to work but the dh kids and friends will have fun here ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know its really cool here in Plainwell also. Breezy today also. Only low 70's I like it but the breezyness could stop. I have the 4th off. I am hoping to be outside. Have been very sick and not able to enjoy the yard to much. But am feeling some better today. Do not like to be sick. I know noone does. Thats the brakes huh? Have a great 4th everyone. Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Ronna, I'm so sorry you've been sick. I hope you're able to get out for the 4th and feel better.

Today it's low 70's too. Perfect weather for mowing all day which is what I've been doing. I think I mowed about 7 acres. :) Looks nice when I sit on the deck and look out at it. Still can't mow all the way around the pond. Too wet. I'm determined not to get the mower stuck in the mud this year. I do that at least once a year. Big pain. Cut my first cabbage out of the garden and fixed it for supper. Lots of veggies ready to eat. Need to cut the lettuce and swiss chard and pull some onions. Got baby squash. Won't be long before we'll have some to eat. Beans really took off with all this rain too.

Have a good 4th everyone.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It was only 44 degrees at our house when we woke up this morning. Now that is chilly for July I think. It's nice and sunny out now and in the 70's. Perfect weather for me.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well Iam feeling more like myself had to work. but last night was exciting! There was a God awful noise really loud, noise outside. Everyone was looking to see what it was. Come to find out there was a gas leak and we had to evacuate to the local library. This all happened around 9 p.m. on sunday evening. Right at bed time I had to get up at 4 a.m today for work on monday. They would not let us leave. They were saying we couldn't go home until 9 a.m. on monday. My husband comes home from work at 3 a.m. could you imagine seeing all the fire trucks around and not knowing where I was or anything? That wouldv'e been awful for him. So any way to make a long story short we were able to go home a tdidnight. do not know if they fixed it or what. Im sure they did. But just went home and went to bed... Was really tired at work today. But I got thru it. I had babies once and had to pull many all nighters! Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

how scary for you and I feel the pain working on short rest/sleep glade your all right !!!! sleep good to night !!!
Gloria;0)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That must have been terrible Ronna. Glad you're OK now and survived working on little sleep.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Kassy your 70's are back :( brrrr.

However, as long as the sun is shining it's not as bad.... ^_^

Delane

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I got the yard mowed the trimming done weeded and planted 3 tobacco plants, trimed some run away shrubs and now I'm pooped ;0) this is great working weather love it
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I agree Glevely, I love the cooler weather. Makes you feel like doing something. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i like it HOT

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

;0) Dori you must be freezing !!!
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 48 at my house last night. We have a remote temperature/time thing that shines on the ceiling at night in our bedroom. We were really cuddling up under the covers this morning and even our little dogs were snugged up close. I actually put on a fleece long sleeve top when I got up and it felt good. I have since shed it as it's warming up fast. I wonder if I'll ever get tomatoes with these cold nights? I have blooms on some but my peppers still don't have blooms. We have lots of cabbage though. **smile** We're eating cabbage salad every day. We're supposed to get some rain tomorrow I think. That will be a good thing if we don't get too much. My ditch still has standing water in it. Usually by now the ditch is dry and we're mowing it. Only half is dry. I have a man out there now weed whacking it and he has long boots on. I don't think he'll get but half of it done. Usually by now we can get into our woods and mow the paths. It is still too wet in there to do that. Maybe we can get in there in a few weeks or next month.

It's good transplant weather.......cool and wet. I even ordered some more double knockout roses marked down online from Home Depot. I got the pink. They were in the twin pack for $10.98 per pack so that's two bushes for that much. I got 5 twinpacks. At the Home Depot store they had some bigger ones potted up but still had price tags of $19.95 on them.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wool sockz!!! poopy!
the guys just left for vegas and im sooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Morning I have to work to day but then I have the next 4 days off yaaaaa I have so much to do in the yard I'm not sure I have enough time to get it all done ;0)
When will The guys get home Dori? I bet YOU are cold you have no fat to keep you warm girl ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I am sorry but I love the cooler weather. I love to walk to work but when it is so hot I sure drag home. Camping soon. Manestee National Forest... Can not wait. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm with you Ronna I like the cooler weather but my tommatos sure don't I have big beautiful plants but on matters ;0(
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Got down to 44 here last night. I love it myself. Perfect sleeping weather and we don't have to run the air conditioning. Supposed to get to 80 today and showers tomorrow.

We still haven't gotten a ripe tomato yet. Not even a cherry tomato. No peppers either. The plants all look healthy and there are blooms. We're eating cabbage every day though so maybe that makes up for it. :) The apples on the trees are turning red even though they haven't finished growing. I think this may be a great year for apples. I'm hoping the cold nights make for a sweeter crop and earlier but I may be wrong on that. We'll see. The trees are loaded down.

We may have to eat bacon sandwiches eatind of BLT's for a while. :)

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.