Campanula flopping

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This is the second year I've had blooms on my Campanula persicifolia "Chettle Charm", and both years the blooms have flopped over. Is this typical with these flowers? Are they supposed to be staked? Or is there something wrong with mine. Mine face south and receive mostly sun. According to Bluestone's catalog they can thrive in part sun, part shade, so I don't know if lack of sun is an issue.

Thumbnail by shebs45
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Perhaps the soil is too rich for them? Or if you are fertilizing it could be too much? I have same varieties of plants in different areas and ones that are suited to leaner soils will flop if growing in an amended area.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the response, Meredith. That's very interesting. In my case, if anything, it would probably be lack of fertilizer and depleted soil. I'm really a lazy gardener, so when I first planted them all I did was stick them in the ground, and hope the best. :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I've noticed that plants frequently lean away from the building foundations they are planted up against. Why, I don't know, but just an observation.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I have to agree with that - mine do too.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's a real interesting observation. That might be what's going on with mine. Looks like I may have to move them.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Mine are planted in a corner garden area with other perennials. Some of them flop over as well, or lean against the fence. They do grow quite tall, so I do stake mine.

Thumbnail by DonM47
Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

I had the same problem; mine looked just like shebs, except for one. I put one of those round hoop supports over it before it grew, the one with the wires going across the hoop. That plant survied even the rain; but the others were lying down as soon as they bloomed. I kicked myself for not remembering to buy more supports. My campanula Telham Beauty does the same thing.

Thumbnail by Tammylp
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've seen those hoop supports and wondered if they would help my problem. I think I'll buy some for next year.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hasn't Chicago been getting lots of rain? Heavy rain and wind can do that, too.

Karen

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, we have been getting a lot of rain and wind. I'm sure that has contributed, but the same thing happened last year and it was pretty dry, if I remember correctly. The stems have actually grown in a curved, bent over position, so it is apparent that they gradually grew into a flopped over position, like they were reaching for something, rather than being beaten down by the elements.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.