Madame Baron Veillard

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I probably did something really stupid today. I was at the nursery and (totally not meaning to) I looked at their clematis. They only had 6 left and and they were all MBV's. They were in quart containers, maybe 2 foot tall and looked completely dejected. I bought one because I felt sorry for it. Only like 2 vines coming out of the pot and I swear it was so wet and in need of sun that it has moss growing on the top of the soil. Do you suppose it has a chance?

Appleton, WI

It should be fine.

One thing about MBV is it blooms really late in the season. An early frost can kill a lot of the buds, so try to site it in a protected location.

Delaware, OH

forget about blooms this year. whack it back severly, plant and fertilize now. water water water.....if you get some blooms this year, fine, but don;t let them linger on vine, enjoy for a few days and prune again, not so hard second time. fertilize again.
i do this from time to time at a place near here that gets clems so rootbound and sells them for 12 or 6 on sale and they are gallons and i call it rescue work i feel so bad for them.
it is how i have built so many dupes into my collection, when there is rescue work to be done!

(Zone 4a)

You are such a clematis saver Guru LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.