HELP! Mystery Diner is devouring my annuals

(Zone 6a)

Hello, I was wondering if somebody here could help me figure out what is eating my annuals? Whatever it is leaving the perennials(mostly) untouched but my Zinnias, Petunias, Delphinium, Basil and Snow on the Mountain are the main ones being dined on. Especially the Zinnias and Petunia. One thing all these plants have in common is they are newly planted so I figure they must be under stress due to all this cold rainy weather we've been having. Now getting to the possible culprits........believe it we don't have any earwigs and potato bugs are fairly scarce too. However we DO have slugs and these little black snails but the plants in question don't really have any slime on them so I was trying to figure out what else it could be??? I check the garden very frequently and never find whatever it is so maybe it comes out at night?? Anyways, here’s some pictures of the damage so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steven

#1 zinnia leaf

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

#2 petunia flower

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

#3 petunia plant

notice most of the leaves are gone.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

#4 Delphinium

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

This looks like caterpillar damage. Spray the plants with Bt (Bacillus thurengiensis) to control the caterpillars. It won't hurt anything else. Check the plants out at night with a flashlight and see if you can find anyone in the act.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

This looks like earwigs to me- caterpillers usually don't eat the edges, but stay in between veins. My earwig holes look just like that- good luck- I am having a hard time controlling them.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Caterpillars absolutely eat the edges, and the whole leaf when they are large enough. Have you never seen one perched on the edge of a leaf just a munchin' away?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.