I am getting there - Season 3

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
We are having a rainy day and rain forecast for the rest of the week so I thought I will start a update on my gardens I startet in 2007 with basically nothing there exept 2 irises and a large clump of festiva maxima peonie,plus trees.I startet with a clean slate.

I don't have my gardens all together but strewn all over the place.One larger one on each end of the house,around 2 sides of the house and then on a little hillside against the stree and little nooks and corners.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Different view of the same garden which I call my main rosegarden.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Very lovely gardens Eglantyne. On this cold rainy day, your garden looks so bright and inviting! I like the bench you have there as well.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

saanansandy,
thank you.The garden bench is not used alot because I never seem to take the time to sit.here is another view.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is a view which leads thru the rosearbor to the front of the house.I have a goodsize clematis climbing up the lattice.It is a mid-late one and has tiny buds so far.My rose 'Seven Sisters' is reaching over.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Now I am going to post of close ups of pictures.First one is Tulipa "Green Waves" a very unusual tulip,lasting a long time ,between 2-3 weeks in part shade.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

My first and earliest Tree peony is a white one which had just 2 blooms on it last year.Planted it late in 2007.

With the same shipment I had gotten another white which arrived broken,did not bloom last year but had 2 blooms this year.

edt.for sp.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Close up

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

One of my favorites,just as white as it can be.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This Tree peony startet to open fully on May 22.beautiful pink !

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is the day before.The tree peony s called "HANASIKOI" ...will post more pics later,heading out into the rain to take pictures,noticed one of my favort irises opened overnight.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

looks very nice - hope my tree peony do as well as yours - had one bloom last year and two this year, when the second bloom opened the plant tipped over and had to stake it - they other one is getting larger buy no blooms this year

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great to see your updates, looking good!

better than what I got

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

How wonderful to see the progression. I know you must be enjoying the ride, if not the labor!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Looking luvly! I really like the white accents and your round stones along the walk.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Pretty, pretty, pretty!!! Thanks for sharing your gardens with us. Did you lose any tree peonies from the tough winter?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

wha,
which one did you buy ?
I didn't stake but the very tallest one,one of the white because I wanted to be on the safe side.
They do get heavy with blooms but georgeous they are.I will post one with 2 HUGE blossoms on it.Wow I never really knew much about Tree peonies and I really LOVE them.This year I added 3,a yellow,a red/white and a pale pink which bloomed.The yellow did also but smaller blossoms.

Thanks flowerjen and schickenlady ( why do I always laugh when I read your DG name :-) ?

daisygrrl,
YES I really am happy and feel actually blessed that at my age I have done so much in so little time all by myself ( well almost )

dahlianut,
The white really stands out at night,I have taken some pictures late inthe evening or night and they alway look lovely.
The stone path is something I am working on right now....digging for stones on the property.

Hi there :-) Donniebrook,
No I didn't loose any of my tree peonies nor any other peonies,they are tough little gals.I will add more peonies this fall,joined the peony co-op because one can NOT go wrong with peonies.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I agree, Brigitte! Peonies are among the loveliest of flowers! Mine are just about to pop! I don't have any tree peonies though......but not for lack of desire! LOL

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i's have to look to see which one - i just wonder if i planted it deep enough

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice... your bench looks very relaxing

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

So beautiful Brigitte!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Wha,hmmm that could be because I have one which had 2 huge blossoms and I didn't have to stake,I would just build up the dirt rather than digging it up and planting it deeper.

onewish1,actually I did sit down for a few minutes a couple of days ago while I was watching my 6 mo old grandson Parker.You know it really felt nice :-)

sofonisba,
thank you ,here are a few more pictures.

This is also a Paeonia suffruticosa called " HOKI " May 23rd - Maidenbloom

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Here a side view.The color is a deep rich magenta.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh wow. That is wonderful!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is a Tree peony just called "yellow" it bloomed early and had 2 medium size blossoms.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Ohhhhh you should have seen the color in natural light.
I am telling you as cold as it gets here at times I can't praise peonies enough.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is a tree peony called " PINK " and I really really love it.This is the second year,last year it had 1 blossom.The blossoms are huge,between 9-10 inches across.

Plus this is in the area where I had to cut down a 6-7 ft.rose climber which was covered with roses last year,plus grapes which are not leaving out.The cold,ice,wind got them and this peony survived.I am so grateful.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Wow. Gorgeous. Here's one of my two tree peonies. This is it's first bloom ever. Named Kamatanishiki.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Your gardens are truly lovely. Thanks for sharing....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that HOKI

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Those are beautiful peonies, Brigitte and Harper!! Their hardiness is so impressive. Mine are just beginning to open. Yippee!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous, Brigitte!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi guys,
we just got home,will answer tomorrow and post more pictures.I am beat...have a good nigth all of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.